Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking into a New Business Opinions Please! >

Looking into a New Business Opinions Please!

Notices

Looking into a New Business Opinions Please!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tantrum

Yes the insurance is the expensive part. But the Franchise does have a program worked out and it is cheeper than any fleet policy I have found.

The second issue I have as most people will also is the availability. Each franchise owner has different rules for reserving boats. But basically it boils down to this. Each member is given a set number of days they can reserve in advance. The average is 6 days per year in there home club. Then every week they can reserve any boat that is available for that week. So you may not get the exact boat you want but there most likely will be a boat available. Each franchise has to evaluate there membership as to how many boats will be needed per membership. I would think that in the Long Island area with such a short boating season the average of 1 boat per 10 members will not be enough to satify the demand of the members.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:32 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Don, how much investigating have you done?
I have a friend whose been working on this for over a year and seems pretty close to opening up one in port.
But i believe its a 'Carefree boat club'.

Here's my issue w/ it... you reserve on Monday, a boat for Friday afternoon... come Friday, its raining...
Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stecz, you seem to have an awful lot of knowledge on homo clubs - just hearsay? - jeff
Old 04-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered

Back in the late 80's and early 1990's I had a Club Nautico Franchise. They were owned by OMC at the time. They had around 80 rental centers in prime boating areas. Similar principals as Freedom. OMC thought that it would get more people into boating. If you want some good, bad and ugly, PM me for details.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Registered

Freedom should have no rules
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mccaffertee
is this a good business move?

Thats probobly my biggest beef. For $6,000 a year you can just about make payments, maintenance, and gas. You won't be in a skater, but I didn't see any skater's on that video either............ And its an asset..........that can be sold.........whenever I feel like it.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Don, how much investigating have you done?
I have a friend whose been working on this for over a year and seems pretty close to opening up one in port.
But i believe its a 'Carefree boat club'.

Here's my issue w/ it... you reserve on Monday, a boat for Friday afternoon... come Friday, its raining...
I think this concept will work for the average guy looking for a no head ache alternative to boating. Most people on this site are more like boat maniacs. We want to be out using it as much as we can.

But this is not the target market. I think the market is the boater who wants the use of a boat without the hassel of maintaing it, paying for the dockage, winter storage, insurance, and everything else that goes along with ownership.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:55 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

I guess if you travel a lot and these locations are near by and you can use them then its fine if not buy a boat and tow it with you
Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sellsman11
LMFAO!!! Send me a "My Peeps" application please!!!
what can you offer me and my people......
Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added a rental business to my marina one year. It was a ton of problems and repairs and when I did the math at the end of the season I made maybe 20g's extra that year. Wasn't worth it so I sold off the boats.

I think I still have the income statements somewhere packed if you want copies.

Quick Reply: Looking into a New Business Opinions Please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.