Notices

Battery switch problem???

Old 04-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Battery switch problem???

When out running on Sunday, My GPS, Depth, and Bilgepump, started acting funny, like they had half power?? I troubleshot it yesterday, and it seems its the battery switch. Works fine on Batt1, and Both(when switched from1), but if I go to Batt2 it screws up, and when I swithch from 2 to both, it stays screwd up, until I go to1 or off, and back to both. Seems something internal to the switch is screwy, anyone ever seen anything like this???
Old 04-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
When out running on Sunday, My GPS, Depth, and Bilgepump, started acting funny, like they had half power?? I troubleshot it yesterday, and it seems its the battery switch. Works fine on Batt1, and Both(when switched from1), but if I go to Batt2 it screws up, and when I swithch from 2 to both, it stays screwd up, until I go to1 or off, and back to both. Seems something internal to the switch is screwy, anyone ever seen anything like this???
Did you test both batteries to see if the #2 battery is bad??? Might be as simple as that.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SKRAMER
Did you test both batteries to see if the #2 battery is bad??? Might be as simple as that.
That is tonights job
Old 04-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me - Was running on both batt's and all died - switched to batt2 ran for short time and all died - switched to batt1 and ran all weekend no problem -
Old 04-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A switch is a switch, not a voltage regulator. Sounds like batteries. Change them both out at the same time. Not necessary but I just feel that if one went, the other is soon to go. Dave
Old 04-23-2008, 06:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have had a few bad switches on customers boats in the past. Mostly on center consoles where the switches are open or more accessible to the elements.I guess maybe corrosion but have never torn one apart to see. I would also check the batteries first.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wardey
A switch is a switch, not a voltage regulator. Sounds like batteries. Change them both out at the same time. Not necessary but I just feel that if one went, the other is soon to go. Dave

Dave,

Both Batteries are relatively New, I didnt get home in time to check them last night, but I will do that first. This switch has acted weird since new, had to go past the off point to actually make it go off, and sometimes seemed to bind up internally, so i think its the switch, but I will swap batteries, and see if it follows, or stays the same.

Rick
Old 04-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

are you charging both batteries ? in and out of the water ? If there is a harbor Freight near you get one of their battery testers ... less than 20.00 and will put a load on the battery and tell you alot ....

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90636

Rick ... after re reading your original post it does sound like the switch ......but I would still test the batteries .... I was having similar problem with my #2 battery and I had no on board charger ..... I would charge each battery from time to time but most the time would end up charging the #2 battery a few hours before we would go out ect .... it would not have a lot of "life" .... I installed on board dual charger which goes thru a 4 step charge process and the maintains both batteries ... my problems went away ...m

Last edited by offthefront; 04-23-2008 at 06:34 AM.