Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Diesel - building a gas engine replacement - how to start? >

Diesel - building a gas engine replacement - how to start?

Notices

Diesel - building a gas engine replacement - how to start?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Diesel - building a gas engine replacement - how to start?

Ok,

I got this started, someone gave you money to go out a build a diesel engine that would directly replace a 600 hp gas engine, fit into the same space, use the existing drives etc.

What engine would you start with, why and what would you do it?

Remember, this is something we can actually do not dream about.

Joe Gere
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fit into the same space
That makes it very tough. Even if we assume that we are using Pat's 6-speed tranny, which is a couple of inches shorter than a Velvet Drive, that still means that the engine itself can only be about 35" long. Is there any chance of such a short I6 making 600 hp, or are we talking about only V engines right from the start?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5.9 cummins - it is probably too long, but I don't care if I have to do hull/drive modifications, and want arneson's behind it anyways.

I have the opportunity to buy up to 36 duramax takeouts for $600.00 each and I'm still waiting for the cummins. You should see them at the diesel drags.

Ernie
Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Registered

Banks is comming out with a twin turbo duramax that will be maranized and 350-550 hp
Old 04-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi V12 TDI.
Reason - Weight and RPM range.
Can use an Arneson, Trimax, Weismann, Konrad, 6, etc
Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
Audi V12 TDI.
Very nice engine, and it fits the size requirement, but can you get it in the U.S. in any form? Can you even get it in Europe without buying a complete Q7 or R8?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Audi just anounced that would NOT be bringing it into the US. Too bad. Seems like a great engine.

Darrell.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you guys heard from the VW Toureq engine ?
Thats a V10 turbo,diesel I thought it was 5 litre ,its been around for+- 4 years now ,its 313 hp and 555 lbs/ft
its the same body like the Porsche Cayenne ,with different taillights ,grille ,frontfenders ,etc ,I thought they had them in the US ,but not sure about the V 10 diesel.

I don,t know too much about this engine ,they could be loaded with a programmer to 450 hp in Germany .

VW marine has a few engines in their marine line ,but up to now not in higher range horsepower.

In Austria there,s a company called : Steyer ,they make marine engine,s with resonable rpm,s ,I believe 4600 its a 6 cilinder monoblock ,with the head /block as a one piece construction ,I even thought the whole block is Aluminium.

There were rumours that Steyer is going to develop a V 12 diesel ,by using 2 blocks to make a V12 6,4 liter ..but if its true ?

Last edited by stirling; 04-22-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

stirling - brillant!!!

I've seen them at the VW dealer in town and your right big Hp, little package. That could be the answer, here's what I found so far:
-VW uses an aluminum block, two turbochargers and an electronically controlled drive-by-wire system that controls the throttle and the fuel injectors that deliver precise amounts of fuel into each cylinder.

-The Touareg R50 gets a hotter version of VW's brawny 5.0-liter V10 TDI, uprated to 345 horsepower and a mind-numbing 627 pound-feet of torque

- Containing the violent combustion forces of a diesel is always a challenge and VW has met that challenge with unique engine architecture. The block and heads are of lightweight hypereutectic aluminum alloy.

The bottom side of the block carries the top member of a cast iron bearing tunnel. An underslung aluminum alloy crankcase carries the bottom half of the bearing tunnel. The bearing tunnel, of course, contains the crankshaft and has six main bearings.

Studs extend from the top side of the tunnel up through the block and heads, which are secured with these studs. So the studs effectively tie the combustion forces from the engine down to the reinforcing bearing tunnel. There are 12 studs per head, in effect, four per cylinder.

Cylinders are parent bored but plasma coated with a few tenths of a millimeter coating to give the cylinder surface tool steel hardness and great durability.

There are two schools of thought with respect to linered- vs. parent-bored cylinders for diesel engines. While some still regard linered cylinders to be more durable and rebuildable, others regard them as a Band-Aide on manufacturing processes. If you can hold manufacturing tolerances tightly enough, parent bored is simpler, requires fewer components, facilitates tighter packaging and more effective cooling.

Riding in these parent-bored cylinders, aluminum pistons have a sombrero-shaped entrant bowl and cast-in cooling channel, which is jet cooled with the piston at bottom dead center.

Strengthened with brass bearings, piston pin bosses and connecting rods, small ends have a trapezoidal shape and thus more bearing surface area to absorb combustion forces, a premium engine feature. Connecting rods are fabricated from sintered metal and feature an angled split on the big end. Another interesting feature is an offset pin bore. This causes the piston to shift in the opposite cylinder wall just before top dead center greatly reducing piston slap (aka: noise).

NVH is an issue in all vehicles today, but needs a bit more attention in a diesel. The V-10 TDI is fitted with a counter-rotating balance shaft operating at crankshaft speed and there are counterweights on the crankshaft webs to reduce first order vibrations.

With the 90 degree layout and offset crank throws, second-order vibrations are reduce. The crankshaft also has a viscous type torsional vibration damper. Engine oscillation is held to a few thousandths of a millimeter.

---------------

I just can't anything on the engine itself, size, is it over head camed???

This might be the answer as to where to start????
Old 04-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Registered

How bout audi's v12 tdi supposedly 500 hp 750 ft lbs torque ?

Quick Reply: Diesel - building a gas engine replacement - how to start?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.