Notices

Speed limits

Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Smile Speed limits

Hi!

I write this to find out what kind of rules you have for speed limits around the world. A new law is now enforced in southern Norway where I live. And it is abolutely mindblowing idiotic.

Lets start with the good thing; 5 knots max speed less than 50 meters from land. In some places 5 knots max speed less than 100 meters from land.

Then we move into the silly part. Inshore in my hometown max 8 knot speed everywhere. Despite we have fjords here which as wide as a canyon. So if you have a summer house on one of the islands out here, you use approx. 3 hrs to get to town to buy food one way... This will force people boating ofshore, even in small boats like 15-18 feets bassboats. And offshore is offshore here (Northsea).

And then we get into the most idiotic part... In excess of 50 meters / 100 meters along the coast line (not i my hometown though since most of the area around here now will be max 8 knots) the max speed is 30 knots offshore. If you are to drive faster than 30 knots, you have to go far out into the ocean.

The main reason for these rules are more accidents due to more -and faster boats. However, the accidents are seldom in daylight. They are at night when people drive fast, without lifejackets and lights, their stomacks filled up with booze. So instead of go for those boaters, they squeeze us all.

The funny part is that my boat lowest speed is 30 mph without dropping down to idle...

When I get 50 my wife and I are moving to Catalina Island. Thats for sure.

Cheeers! Toffen G

Cheeeers!

Last edited by Toffen; 04-28-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

8 knot max speed.... Time to move. Really, what's the point of putting the boat in the water.

Darrell.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might as well buy a sailboat. Definately not the place for a go-fast.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Speed limit

Hi!

I found out today looking at the maps that I can idle for 15 mins, and then go up to 35 mph ..... If I am to drive faster than that, I have to head for the ocean out there among the gas tankers.

I think I have to allocate some money for paying some fines. Heaven knows what they charge you for driving 80-90 mph "inshore" (although it was defined as offshore until last week).

Cheeers, Toffen G
Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

Speed limits vary depending on the body of water. At LOTO, idle speed within 100 feet of a dock, shore or another boat. Night time speed limit is 30mph. No speed limits during the day light.