Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT : home stereo speakers (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/18562-ot-home-stereo-speakers.html)

26scarab 02-20-2002 11:04 PM

OT : home stereo speakers

I just bid on a reciever/amp on Ebay and decided
to look for some speakers .
I surfed the net and found a site
selling Flaunce Speakers, well there prices are unbelievably cheap .
They have a 5 speaker set for $200. I know you get what you pay for in most things but I was wondering if anybody has heard about these.
I like music but I don't need some 20k stereo system in my house.

Audiofn 02-20-2002 11:19 PM

Ya who needs a 20K system when you should be spending 100K :D:D

Seriously I would not buy speakers with out listening to them first!!! That seems real cheap to me. What is the amp that you got on ebay? I can not put a set of speakers together for under 1500 and feel like I am giving my customer anything of any quality. There are a lot to speakers out there and your ear is the only one that is important and you have to go with what your ear tells you is best not the salesman or the price tag. The place I am doing now the speakers alone were 80,000 for the theater. THEY ARE IMPORTANT and YES you CAN hear the differences. Maybe not at first but after you listen for a little bit you will know were your money is going :D:D

Jon

26scarab 02-20-2002 11:32 PM

Audio
I don't doubt the difference between a 80k system and the junk I will piece together !!
When i bought my house (5yrs ago) I wanted to do some killer system (nothing like what you do) something around the 5k range well I've got the house dialed in ,the boat dialed in ,but still no system. It's just hard to justify that stuff when I spend most of my time at work,on the boat or snowmobiling.
If I do win the loto I will be giving you a call though !!

I was surfing audio stuff on ebay and can't believe some of the stuff, Kleff amps for 15k , man some people just make too much damn money !LOL

I'm currently bidding on a Pioneer vsx-604s amp/reciever.. any opinions on that ?

Miller 02-21-2002 03:34 AM

I have a pair of B&W speakers that cost maybe a few hundred for the pair. They sound awesome and B&W makes a tremendous speaker, as I think Audiofn will attest. Now, I have a small apartment here in NYC so I had no need for more than a pair. You may want to start with 2 good speakers and then add more as you have extra money and/or interest in expanding.

Wildfire 02-21-2002 06:39 AM

Check out www.axiomaudio.com I have not heard these speakers, but they have one a few "best-value" type awards. Also, I have heard good things about Outlaw stereos. www.outlawaudio.com - again a "best value" type deal.

I am curious if anyone has an opinion on these two companies. Good bang for the buck or not? I too would rather spend more on the boat and less on the house, but surround sound is real cool too.

FWK 02-21-2002 06:56 AM

I don't know how much you are bidding on the rcvr but a new Pioneer model like the 710 would cost you less than 300 dollars. The speakers I do not know about and have not heard of them. This is what I tell customers in this situation. The speakers may be all right for a little while but you will want better and the 200 you spent you just threw away. Plus you will need a powered subwoofer. I sell mostly higher end equipment but you can also buy a package from many of the major manufacturers like Infinity, Acoustic Research, Jamo and JBL to name a few the will come with 5 speakers and a powered sub. I would have to check but all of them I believe are less than 500 dollars. I have used them for some customers and they are adequate. Forrest

Brad 02-21-2002 07:44 AM

You can't go wrong with B&W speakers. I have three pair and love them!

Audiofn 02-21-2002 07:58 AM

Miller you are correct the B&W's are very nice. That is what we are putting in this huge system we are doing now.

26Scarab. I have a 80K theater for myself and this guys is a couple hundred K. Beleive me even there is a HUGE difference. Speakers and amps all have to go together. I have speakers that I use with certain amps as I am sure the Forrest does the same. Different amps sound different so you need to match speakers. It may sound audio file snobby but I would hate to have you waiste money on a amp and speakers just to want to go out and buy it all over again. Most of my customers are also very bussy. They do not have a lot of time. However they make a nice theater/media room and now they really have a nice place to unwind when they get home. You can look at NHT also for a real nice sounding small speaker. They will be about 110 bucks each for the Super Ones. Like Forrest said then you need a sub and that is not a cheap thing. Sub gets matched to the room air volume.

Jon

Lee 02-21-2002 09:32 AM

I have a old ancient pair of OHM E's that still sound good to this day, anybody know if OHM is still in business?

LS-7 02-21-2002 09:56 AM

BOSe.......small......LOUD and great sound range and clarity, no need to change ever unless your listening area becomes commercial sized.
just my .02, if anyone is listening:cool: