Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
New sound system for my Top Gun. Advice ? >

New sound system for my Top Gun. Advice ?

Notices

New sound system for my Top Gun. Advice ?

Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Most -non American amps- wern't highly thought of. Plus most of your listening is going to be while the motors are off, thus battery voltage will be 11.5 to 12.8. Most amps cheat on specs - the mfg will rate them @ 13.8 - 14.4 volts cause thats what the alternator put out when a car amp is running. Drop voltage down 10- 20% and your output drops too.

I am stuck on the old PPI PC series amps. They are all rated at 12 volts and VERY underated. You can usually find them on E-bay. My opinion one of the best amps made. I have a PC2150 running 3 Alpine 10's and a PC650 running 3 sets of JL M770cs components. Lots of sound for 2 amps.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Jamie

I dont kno wwho is doing the work but you should alos look at ABT

I am going to upgrade my Bullet this year and going to use the new Alpine head unit seamless ipod integrattion wired waterproof remotes and also a RF remote thats water proof floats and is good to 100 feet away from unit. The remotes can be paralleled so you could alos put one on the transom for control there. Abt seems to have very good pricing also and there install shop looks good.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Griff - thanks for the heads-up.

Frank - haha, nah, just want to keep the party lively I'd call Scott, but since he got out of the stereo business a few years ago I'm afraid his stuff might be dated...

jonb - thanks for sharing. No boxes for the subs. And yes, I thought the labor looked a little high over-all. I'll check out the dry-cell batteries.

TomA and Smitty - thanks for the link(s). I'll check them out, if not for this build but for other stuff I'm doing in my truck

BillR - thanks for sharing. Planned location for the subs would be in the side panels, so I'll mention that the JL's are too deep. Planned location of the amps I'm not sure of, I was assuming that left-side locker when you enter the cabin ( where my current amp is ) but its probably not a good area because of limited ventilation was my thought..? I'll check the spec's on the Alpine amps for regulated voltage, I know the JL's do that.

Gary - actually, it is ABT that I got this quote from. Thanks.

Last edited by Jamie B.; 05-01-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jamie, if you want I have a guy in Ind. that has a line on all JL stuff and he did the install on my boat...let me know if I can help...BZ
Old 05-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Smile

Bob - thanks, I might want his info. I'll let you know.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ghlight=stereo

Hey Jamie,
Here is a thread from when I did my system. It's still rockin'

I have a set of Kickers and a set of 10" Babbs if you need them...... Cheap
Old 05-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Smile

Craig - thanks, I just checked it. Nice work.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Registered

I know the JL stuff is nice, but it sure is expensive.

For $6000.00 I could build one heck of a system, and it would not be just mounted in the boat. Talkin custom panels, boxed subs not free air, proper sound stage, and some accent lighting.

They should be telling youthey are going to do some trick stuff for that kind of money.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Smitty

I also would check this website out. It is where I buy all my gear.

www.onlinecarstereo.com

Smitty
Good site Dave. I just compared their prices on the Alpine amps that I'm interested in getting for this project and they were 410 dollars less combined on the above site. Thanks.

hmmm....might look into just buying the components myself and then finding a shop or guy to do the install job....
Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Registered

I just did a system in my pontoon boat and bought everything (except cables and speaker wire) from onlinecarstereo.com, and saved a lot of money.

I have an Alpine PDX 1000 pushing two Alpine Type-R subs and an Alpine PDX 4.150 going to six Polk-Momo 6.5 components. I used an Alpine deck with integrated Ipod controls as well. The system is loud an clean and the amps run very cool. They are also stackable which makes them easy to mount in tight places. I have three group 24 deep cycle batteries and a ProMariner 30 amp 3 bank charger. I can run the system all day and it does not kill the batteries. I just plug it in at the dock at night.

I did the install myself and it was easy. Time consuming, but still easy. If you buy Monster components you can by amp install kits that give you everything you need. Cost of 4 guage Monster is high along with series 300 or 400 speaker wire, but you get what you pay for.

I think the prices above are a little high IMO.

Quick Reply: New sound system for my Top Gun. Advice ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.