Are cats really that dangerous?

Notices

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
no........... for many reasons:

1. A single engine cat installation fills the tunnel exit adding compression and disturbing natural airflow. This engine placement will also tend to "trip" the hull upon re-entry after going airborne, perhaps increasing the tendency of the craft to stuff. The lone partial exception to this rule may be the above mentioned Champ boats which have such streamlined lower units and small propellers (see my avatar and prop pix below) that there is not as much disturbance or drag..... but there is still more than a dual application would create.0
T2x
Drag??? What drag???
Attached Thumbnails Are cats really that dangerous?-album_pic.jpg  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
nor from "State of the Art" Apache fans......

T2x

Funny no one mentioned Larry Smith yet...regarding state of the art construction he was at the top of the game in monohulls at the time Apache came into the scene...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Drag??? What drag???
right there in the picture...if you can´t see it you´ve been into too many poker run cocktails...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
...Now has anyone trying skating with using a single leg or using both ?
Which way is more stable turns better handles better and is faster ? ...
It depends, are you standing still or moving? You can turn tighter faster on one leg.

I'm glad we're past the arguing stage. We're into the group hug, slapping each other on the back, remember the good ole' days stage. A question was asked that wasn't answered. Can a cat turn like a vee? I agree totally that a Champ boat will out turn a 47 Apache. What about size for size, weight for weight?

I've never been in a cat and am curious.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Funny no one mentioned Larry Smith yet...regarding state of the art construction he was at the top of the game in monohulls at the time Apache came into the scene...

I was never quite sure what Larry Smith designed......... since, to be honest, I could never tell the difference between Scarabs and Cigarettes.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpacker
Drag??? What drag???
The wedge....look at the wedge....... at some point you have to ask yourself...when does a cat become a trimaran?........

I do love the duo props...at least you solved the torque issue
Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
That is a beautiful helo shot. What size waves?

Man that's the best picture of any boat I've ever had. The guy who shot it is a friend of Zastro's, and offered to print a fullsize for me but stopped returning messages for some reason. That's the only copy I have and it is too small to enlarge. I was gonna pay too!

I would rather Mark Smith or someone who ran the run give you the wave size. Seems everyone has their own version of how big water is, so I'd like you to have an unbiased opinion!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Originally Posted by T2x
no........... for many reasons:

1. A single engine cat installation fills the tunnel exit adding compression and disturbing natural airflow. This engine placement will also tend to "trip" the hull upon re-entry after going airborne, perhaps increasing the tendency of the craft to stuff. The lone partial exception to this rule may be the above mentioned Champ boats which have such streamlined lower units and small propellers (see my avatar and prop pix below) that there is not as much disturbance or drag..... but there is still more than a dual application would create.

2. Twin engines allow for counter rotation and, if you spin them out, following the laws of nature and physics as God intended, you will achieve neutral torque and balance from the prop rotation.

3. In twin engine installations the sponsons protect the center section or upper drive components from random blasts of water at speed thereby adding durability to the drives. (when we raced triple outboard cats the center engine durability was always lower than the outboard mounted motors). Again you also reduce drag since most, if not all, of the gearcases' frontal area is "hidden" by the sponsons.

Of course these are just my humble opinions, based on decades of testing and development, rather than the "facts" that are readily available at Poker Run Cocktail parties and in West Coast Cat ads........... or from "State of the Art" Apache fans......

T2x
Have you written a book yet? Can I financially back it, or at least get the bar tab after having a court reporter back up your mental hard drive??
Old 05-13-2008, 09:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 342 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
Man that's the best picture of any boat I've ever had. The guy who shot it is a friend of Zastro's, and offered to print a fullsize for me but stopped returning messages for some reason. That's the only copy I have and it is too small to enlarge. I was gonna pay too!

I would rather Mark Smith or someone who ran the run give you the wave size. Seems everyone has their own version of how big water is, so I'd like you to have an unbiased opinion!
10 TO 12 FOOTER'S....AND NOBODY THAT WAS IN A SKATER GOT A DROP ON THEM!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

right there in the picture...if you can´t see it you´ve been into too many poker run cocktails...

Look closer Mikey. I have but two prop blades and part of a skeg in the water. Thats it. No bullet in the water at all.

Hey Rich, notice how the center pod is much shorter than the sponsons? It runs on the outsides only once at speed unlike an American Offshore 26 or Talon 25 etc which ride on the center and use the sponsons as training wheels
Attached Thumbnails Are cats really that dangerous?-1album_pic.jpg  

Quick Reply: Are cats really that dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.