Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are cats really that dangerous? >

Are cats really that dangerous?

Notices

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have lost an engine at least three times at 140+ (35 Motion) Lost a transmission at same speeds twice (MTI). Lost a prop at 110 (MTI). Each time it was completely uneventful. First noticed because we are slowing down. I think the type of cat hull makes the difference. I have also blown at least 8 outboard engines on smaller twin cats 25-30' (Warlock & Motion) again no big deal. Blown at least 6 lower units on o/b cats again nothing but slowing down. So can not prove it by me.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Blown at least 6 lower units on o/b cats again nothing but slowing down. So can not prove it by me.
I have never been on a fast Cat yet but wonder how fast you slow down . I know when I cut the power on my V hull the boat slows very quickly . Whats it like at 100 plus ? In case of an emergency .

Paul
Old 05-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bagger
I have never been on a fast Cat yet but wonder how fast you slow down . I know when I cut the power on my V hull the boat slows very quickly . Whats it like at 100 plus ? In case of an emergency .

Paul
UHHHHHHHHHH You just need to pull back a bit quicker!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE
I have owned many boats...I must say that I will never own another deep V...there rough beat you to death, a cat will glide right over the chop, and yes I too feel much safer in a cat doing 120mph than in a deep V doing 80. :
I would love to see you doing 120 safely in water like this. Because I know Jerry can do 80 safely in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6CcRZ37vNs
Old 05-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Registered

I have lost an engine at least three times at 140+ (35 Motion) Lost a transmission at same speeds twice (MTI). Lost a prop at 110 (MTI). Each time it was completely uneventful. First noticed because we are slowing down. I think the type of cat hull makes the difference. I have also blown at least 8 outboard engines on smaller twin cats 25-30' (Warlock & Motion) again no big deal. Blown at least 6 lower units on o/b cats again nothing but slowing down. So can not prove it by me.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!! AGREED
Old 05-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
I would love to see you doing 120 safely in water like this. Because I know Jerry can do 80 safely in it.

I had a 32' Fountain...don't go offshore much, but when I did in 4 to 6' seas...it beat the **** out of everyone, slow or fast and didn't help much of the rigging out. Still I usually run rivers, the only chop I have are the boats that I overtake...
Old 05-04-2008, 09:23 PM
cloke

That wasnt my experience. One of the times that a drive broke we were part way through a soft turn and it was eventful. My driver was concerned about overcompensating with a correction so let it drift.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six

Take a look at the Ft. Lauderdale Race Pics!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I've only had mine for a year but did have one of the kill switches get inadvertently hit by a passenger and shutdown one motor while running at around 100 or so.

I didn't feel much of anything except for the boat starting to slow down and checking the gauges to see what happend...

For some reason each engine has it's own kill switch so you have to tie them together to shut both off at the same time.

That will be rectified once we get finished with the painting and put the motors back in..
Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 PM
cloke

All three incidents happened with a 37 Talon. Nothing disastrous but it did wander. Nortech has never had anything break.

Quick Reply: Are cats really that dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.