Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What's the throttle man doing? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/186062-whats-throttle-man-doing.html)

fbrs 05-06-2008 06:02 AM

What's the throttle man doing?

Excuse the complete beginner question. Watched all the usual fountain videos on driving, trim etc... cant find anything about what the throttlemans up to. In the race vids hes on and off the throttle, but i cant see the timing. One of the race commentators on an old Apache vid says, "he hasn't flaired it once", i assume he means when the things out the water, let it hit the rev limiter. I guess as you leave the top of a wave if your hard on it you drive the bow high and if you come off you nose dive... So whats he up to and what makes good/bad throttling?

cheers

francis

TeamSaris 05-06-2008 06:13 AM

The throttle man backs off when the props come out of the water. A good throttleman rarely misses and keeps the boat flying level.

fbrs 05-06-2008 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by fast fun 2 (Post 2549034)
The throttle man backs off when the props come out of the water. A good throttleman rarely misses and keeps the boat flying level.

couldnt an electronic rev limiter achieve the same thing? or is the timing coming off the wave the skill? if so what/how... thx

Tom A. 05-06-2008 06:34 AM

A good throttleman backs off the throttles when the props break loose then eases back into once they catch the water again. There were no rev limiters back in the old days and a good throttleman will be better than a rev limiter. As important as throttling, they also set all the trim levels of the drives and tabs to run the boat straight and true and then adjusts everything for the turns. The tandem of driver and throttleman lets the driver focus on steering and watching the course.

Chris Sunkin 05-06-2008 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by fbrs (Post 2549043)
couldnt an electronic rev limiter achieve the same thing? or is the timing coming off the wave the skill? if so what/how... thx

A rev limiter can save someone from the odd mistake but they're not for continual use. You're basically shutting off the ignition to cylinders selectively at max rpm. Continually doing that is really hard on a crankshaft.

As far as timing, it's purely feel and experience. And alot of skill. Kind of like hitting a 95mph fastball. Not everyone can do it and few can do it really well. All you really have to do is head out into some waves and practice. Keep in mind- cutting the throttles too early drops the nose. That's not what you want to do when there's no water under there, like almost to the top of a swell. You also want to avoid powering off the top of the swell- that can get you nose-down as well. You ultimately want to avoid landing flat in the bottom between two swells and sticking the bow into the face of the next one. Speed comes into play here as well. Too slow can be just as bad as too fast. Kind of like jumping a ravine. You have to have enough speed to make it. Tabs play a big role as well. Most over-tab in bigger water. I've seen plenty of video of fast boats in moderate water "doing the slinky". They leave the wave and the boat follows a circular arch. You should land on the part of the surface you run on in almost all situations. If you're dropping the nose, you need less tab and possibly more trim.

See here-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzF8vU6oag

Then here-
http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/m...che_2.wmv.html
(not a fair comparison- vid 2 is the best throttleman that ever lived)

fbrs 05-06-2008 07:10 AM

great reply thanks very much

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2549072)

looks easy ;)

PARADOX 05-06-2008 07:58 AM

Chris explained it pretty well. The throttlemen can save your azz.. a rev. lim. may save your motors. A good T. men worth his (her) :) weight in gold. At time you might need to bump the power to fly over two "close" waves where as if you don't "bump" up the bow, the boat might just plow in and be stuffed. With twins .. the T. men can actually help steady the boat when it's roles at landing. Takes a lot of practice, experience, and trial/error time. I think it's more of a "feeling" then a learned skill. IMHO.. good throttleman feels the boat/motors/waves/roles.. etc.. and handle the sticks as second nature, not even thinking what to do.

Wahoo ATV 05-06-2008 08:03 AM

Just watch John Tomlinson in the Bud boat when it is rough. It doesn't get any better than JT.

UNSANE 05-06-2008 08:07 AM

Furthermore, for those of us in our single engine "recreational" boats, especially those equipped with the vulnerable XR drive, things could get "interesting". If I don't throttle back my Fountain while it's airborne, when it lands, the torque from the motor and the prop will make the boat roll and get squirrelly upon landing, plus the outdrive can be damaged from all the on again/off again torque being placed upon it.

Tom A. 05-06-2008 08:12 AM

That second video shows a great difference in trim levels. The first part of the video Bob had that boat trimmed to run through the rough stuff smooth and true (and put on an unbelievable display I might ad). In the second part of the video you could see how he had it trimmed out for max speed and then they got caught off guard by the rogue roller (hence the launch straight up).

Croozin2 05-06-2008 08:18 AM

Along with all the other points everyone made earlier, another is the fact that you are trying to match boat speed and prop speed upon reentry. If the boat leaves the water and you just let the motors sit on the rev limiter, what happens when the boat makes contact with the water again? The effect is much like standing on the gas and side-stepping the clutch in a car. However, that Bravo XR, or any drive for that matter, can't stand that type of shock. You will eventually twist/break a prop shaft, vertical shaft, prop etc. As someone else said, get out there and try it and you will be amazed at how much the throttleman has to do. Better yet, try doing it all by yourself in some snotty water. You'll find that you don't have enough hands and fingers!!!!:D

Chris Sunkin 05-06-2008 08:19 AM

According to Saccenti, in the first vid, the engines would cut out every time he tried to trim the boat. He found a "happy medium" and left the drives & tabs there the whole race.

Carguy08 12-22-2010 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2549072)
A rev limiter can save someone from the odd mistake but they're not for continual use. You're basically shutting off the ignition to cylinders selectively at max rpm. Continually doing that is really hard on a crankshaft.

As far as timing, it's purely feel and experience. And alot of skill. Kind of like hitting a 95mph fastball. Not everyone can do it and few can do it really well. All you really have to do is head out into some waves and practice. Keep in mind- cutting the throttles too early drops the nose. That's not what you want to do when there's no water under there, like almost to the top of a swell. You also want to avoid powering off the top of the swell- that can get you nose-down as well. You ultimately want to avoid landing flat in the bottom between two swells and sticking the bow into the face of the next one. Speed comes into play here as well. Too slow can be just as bad as too fast. Kind of like jumping a ravine. You have to have enough speed to make it. Tabs play a big role as well. Most over-tab in bigger water. I've seen plenty of video of fast boats in moderate water "doing the slinky". They leave the wave and the boat follows a circular arch. You should land on the part of the surface you run on in almost all situations. If you're dropping the nose, you need less tab and possibly more trim.

See here-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wJzF8vU6oag

Then here-

Always loved that 1st video. 2nd link is dead.

monstaaa 12-24-2010 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by fast fun 2 (Post 2549034)

aahhemmm,,hmmmm,mmm... thanxx

TeamSaris 12-24-2010 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by monstaaa (Post 3282438)
aahhemmm,,hmmmm,mmm... thanxx

Could you elaborate a little more ?

BLee 12-24-2010 09:55 PM

It's these threads you have to try to remember, when you have the same guy that started this thread, arguing over who builds a better rough water boat in another thread lol

monstaaa 12-25-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by fast fun 2 (Post 3282556)
Could you elaborate a little more ?

The good throtleman part.....

TeamSaris 12-25-2010 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by monstaaa (Post 3282640)
The good throtleman part.....

Right. Whats you quoting me have to do with it?

TENSION 12-25-2010 12:22 PM

Still bitter?.....Must have got coal in his stocking this morning!:drink:

TYPHOON 12-25-2010 01:24 PM

There is two different type of throttling. Racing and pleasure. Two totaly different styles. One is safer and maintains the equipment. The other pushes the boat and equipment to its limits. If you want to practice the race style make sure you have your vest,helmet and support boat around knowing what you are doing. I would also suggest you do this buy yourself if your boat is set up for only one person to run it. No sense in getting a friend hurt if you are just learning. Im sure there are plenty of guys on here that have stuffed ,spun or just landed wrong and when it was over they they were thanking there lucky stars no one got hurt. It happened to me when I started running fast in my pleasure boat. No one got hurt but we ripped out both front bolsters,bent the throttle in half and were all lucky to have stayed in the boat. If you are pleasuring and just want to run fast just be careful.
One last thought. The water is never the same so dont think you have a great rhythm going and get to relaxed. There is always that crazy wave that came from no where that will ruin your day. Im a nobody to be giving any advice but want to keep everyone safe that want to experiance the coolest feeling in the world. "flying a boat out of the water and landing smooth 20 yards away from where you left"
MD

monstaaa 12-25-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by TENSION (Post 3282755)
Still bitter?.....Must have got coal in his stocking this morning!:drink:

Hey, BETTY.... I'LL Have you know mY Panties are ALWAYS in a bunch...

monstaaa 12-25-2010 02:27 PM

O an berries kirsmass mengssssss..