Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   X-Dimension (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/186080-x-dimension.html)

littledcsrodshop 05-06-2008 11:15 AM

X-Dimension

I have a pretty good idea where I will be setting the X dimension at on my boat... But I would still like to see where some of you guys are running yours with similar setups ect... & what kind of performance it is yealding..... Here is what I have :

28' Saber
Conventional V (no steps , no pad , no notch )
Full pleasure set-up interior & cabin
Single 750 +or- a few HP
Bravo XR with ITS transom assy. = 7" setback
Boat should come in around 5,000# Dry

The boat should carry the bow pretty well with the help of Twin 53 Gallon saddle tanks that will be located in the rear of the boat instead of the twin 58's under the floor..

I also want to stick with 4 blade props & not run a 5 due to the fact that I will already be stressing the drive enough as it is...

Like I said I have a setup in mind that I think will work well... However that being said , It never hurts to hear a little input before cutting a nice clean transom....I look forward to hearing what other experiance has to say & always welcome everybodys opinion...

Chris Sunkin 05-06-2008 11:47 AM

I'd call Saber. Nobody would know better than they. Especially with such a drastic change in center of gravity

littledcsrodshop 05-06-2008 11:52 AM

I agree , However Factory support is not really at its best right now...

Griff 05-06-2008 11:57 AM

For reference, 28 Panteras have the X set at 17" on pleasure versions. The only ITS Pantera, I know of, is Patriot Games(Cattitudes old boat), and Jo told me set that one at 17.5"

You got more weight in the stern and more hp, so you should be able to go around 18"

littledcsrodshop 05-06-2008 12:02 PM

Yeah Pantera has been by best referance & I have talked with Jo about it before... You just have to love Jo & Pepe for factory support I have had several Panteras & even when I have been out of (such as now) I have always stayed in contact with them & they have always been there to answer Any questions that I have...

However that being said the bottoms are a bit differant on the Saber v/s the Pantera... The Pantera is sharper on the bottom of the V & the strakes are also sharper.... Meaning the Saber is more rounded in those areas.

The Saber is also a bit lighter due to the fact that it is Balsa cored all over

Wild Card 09 05-06-2008 01:25 PM

My 25OL only stacks up on some of the figures on your 28 Sabre but there are quite a few simlarities - 24° non step veehull, 5000 lbs is about where my boat is, but instead of the longer nose, there is a fitted cabin pulling the centre of gravity forward. The OL has a pad bottom and a mild transom notch.

The boat ran great with a prop to pad dimension of 4 1/2" on the Imco extension box and was far better to drive than with the stock settup(7 1/2").

I wanted more, and fitted an Imco 2" shorty lower (bringing prop to pad down to 2 1/2"!), and the boat wouldn´t trim out anymore, showed crazy slip figures, and lost about 6 mph. Too little prop in the water to lift the bow. At a higher power to weight ratio (like your settup), things would be different.

Your rearward weight bias, and the hp should allow you to go pretty high on the x. According to my (relatively inexperienced) viewpoint, your Sabre ( and the ITS standoff) should be doing good things with only 2" of prop to pad depth.

Steve Zuckerman 05-06-2008 01:48 PM

LDCS,
Although my boat has a different hull than yours (28' Nordic, single step with notch and pad), you may be able to use some of this information.
The boat weighs around 5200#s dry, has 750/775ish motor and an XR drive (no box or ITS). Full cabin and twin 43 saddle tanks.
It came from the factory with a 19.25"s XD, which was way too high. My prop slip with a 30" Bravo was around 20%.
Lowered 1", with a spacer to an effective 18.25"s, I now have my slip down to 13% with a 28" Hydromotive P5-X. The boat runs 90GPS.
It now carrys the bow well, and is much less weight sensitive.
Since it's easier to lower your drive with spacers, than raise it with shortys, I would start at 18"s with your ITS box.
Steve

littledcsrodshop 05-06-2008 02:00 PM

Thanks guys.... Keep it coming.......

I agree it is easier & cheaper to lower the X with spacers than it is trying to buy a shorty ect.. However It sure would be nice to hit it the first time..

So Steve your boat has saddle tanks in the rear ? Is that the only tanks it has ? I take it they are located in the engine compartment right ? That explains why your boat appears to sit nice & low in the rear... atleast from your avitar pic..

Griff 05-06-2008 05:59 PM

I think going with 18 will get you within a 1/2 inch. A half inch will make little difference at top speed if its a 1/2 inch too low and it gives you ability to step down with spacers. If you plan on testing with spacers then go high and set it at 19.

Steve Zuckerman 05-06-2008 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop (Post 2549542)
Thanks guys.... Keep it coming.......

I agree it is easier & cheaper to lower the X with spacers than it is trying to buy a shorty ect.. However It sure would be nice to hit it the first time..

So Steve your boat has saddle tanks in the rear ? Is that the only tanks it has ? I take it they are located in the engine compartment right ? That explains why your boat appears to sit nice & low in the rear... atleast from your avitar pic..

Yes, they run close to the transom (ending about 1 foot forward), and about 12 feet forward. No other tanks.
BTW, I wish the factory had taken the time to get the XD on these boats correct. The motor would sit 1" lower in the hull for a lower CG and better handling (already good), and there would have been more vertical space to accomodate a blower installation. Oh well worked it out myself, with help from my friends. They have lowered the new boats to 18.25"s.
Good luck on yours and keep us posted.
Steve