Notices

S I B To Bimini Run

Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Let's just get this thing back into perspective.

Forty years ago, on the morning of June 9, 1968, one of my all time heroes, Odell Lewis, (Who is coming for the old racers get together) began racing the Bahamas 500 in his aluminum 32 foot Maritime.

He finished the race 11 hours later and won. Imagine how long the slow boats took.

There was no talk of your boat is this or that with these guys.....they just brought the best they had, or could get their hands on and got in them and raced....all day and sometimes all night too.

Just come and enjoy the experience. Even if we get a field of 50 boats, they will still be rare among racers of today with experience in this open ocean stuff.
I thought this was a nostalgic boat race.......Welcome to all i guess, i was just looking forward to seeing all the old cigs,magnums,apaches,etc.....That time of year it should be calm except for all the mti and skater traffic whipping by everybody......
Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by nocigarette
I thought this was a nostalgic boat race.......Welcome to all i guess, i was just looking forward to seeing all the old cigs,magnums,apaches,etc.....That time of year it should be calm except for all the mti and skater traffic whipping by everybody......
my interpretation was it was an old school style run in Honor of Don Aronow and to help a childrens charity. It is set up to allow pleasure boats to run in race style look at it this way, the spirit of the challenge should be foremost and egos left at home or this may never happen again.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will Katrin Theodoli and 16 of her closest friends be making the run this time? Maybe she'll use the 80 this time.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/0f1...045f1258f1f4a1
Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
my interpretation was it was an old school style run in Honor of Don Aronow and to help a childrens charity. It is set up to allow pleasure boats to run in race style look at it this way, the spirit of the challenge should be foremost and egos left at home or this may never happen again.
You have no idea of the amount of time and effort that is going into making this race happen. It's a monumental task and if it wasn't for Charlie, Larry and Brad constantly pushing forward the idea might die on the vine.

Also please recognize the city of Sunny Isles Beach for believing in us (OSS and HORBA, and now FPB) to bring a great event to their city and to help put this 11 year old city on the map. This is an expensive proposition and The City of Sunny Isles Beach wrote the big check all by themselves to make this happen and they've been more than fantastic to work with.

We have a chance to make this an annual event like Sarasota, but we've got to put on a good show this first year in order for them to see how it can grow. This event will be covered by American Powerboat TV. They'll cover the Bimini Run and Races. Stu may have his cameras there for his TV show and if Miss Geico gets their way, they'll have some big time network coverage there too. Of course Jeff will be there too giving aerial coverage.

It should be an awesome weekend in one of the nicest oceanfront towns in south Florida. The racer packet will be out in a few days and have all the info about the entire event and where to stay.

Now if we can Riendle to come, maybe he could rent out a few Bat boats for Sunday.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

my interpretation was it was an old school style run in Honor of Don Aronow and to help a childrens charity.

My long term goal is to erect a statue of Don in Haulover Park over looking the inlet. Lifesize, holding the model boat in his outstreatched arm.

I'm in the middle of asking the park for permission. This would be a 3 - 5 year goal. Do you think it's possible to raise $300K for this?

Years ago I went to 188th St when OSO had thier offices there in Don's old office above TNT and saw the deal. Now it's a high school and condos. There's nothing left to what this man created, not a plaque, not a building, nothing. It's up to us to remember him...is it possible?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron P
My long term goal is to erect a statue of Don in Haulover Park over looking the inlet. Lifesize, holding the model boat in his outstreatched arm.

I'm in the middle of asking the park for permission. This would be a 3 - 5 year goal. Do you think it's possible to raise $300K for this?

Years ago I went to 188th St when OSO had thier offices there in Don's old office above TNT and saw the deal. Now it's a high school and condos. There's nothing left to what this man created, not a plaque, not a building, nothing. It's up to us to remember him...is it possible?
I'm all for it Ron, As soon as it was announced I said I'm in, Charlie should have received my entry form by now...That was my point in saying if it isn't done right this time, we might not get a second chance. Henry ford got his credit for cars, the Wright brothers for flight, why not Don for power boating?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm all for it Ron, As soon as it was announced I said I'm in, Charlie should have received my entry form by now...That was my point in saying if it isn't done right this time, we might not get a second chance. Henry ford got his credit for cars, the Wright brothers for flight, why not Don for power boating?
Entry rec'd, thank you!

What is going on with the Apache and Fountain guys? It looks like Cigarette is going to be the lead candidate for the win by default if nothing else. We have a few Cigarette's but none of the other big water boat brands.

Then of course we have the cats....all that speed...the question is can it be used out there??
Attached Thumbnails S I B To Bimini Run-pr042-small-.jpg   S I B To Bimini Run-horba9806cats0051-small-.jpg   S I B To Bimini Run-horbacats914060091-small-.jpg  

Old 05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by salesmanship
A Cave Man?
LMAO!!!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 204 Likes on 81 Posts

Here is the boat that Don Aronow originally raced in the '63 Miami to Key West race.

He sold it to George Peroni who promptly went out and won the Gateway Marathon in '64 with it.

He not only collected the trophy and the bragging rights, it looks like he also got the trophy queen.

Now, would we get more entries if we gave away the queen too?

George himself will be at the old racers reunion. I have the good fortune to be joining his son, along with the present owner of the boat, in the race this year with this very same boat
Attached Thumbnails S I B To Bimini Run-race-stickers0004-small-.jpg   S I B To Bimini Run-race-stickers0005-small-.jpg  
Old 05-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Registered

Default Passenger

Originally Posted by Maximus
Nope.....much BIGGER than Gary.

Let's just say ....the event will be replayed for Millions of people.
RONALD MCDONALD??

Quick Reply: S I B To Bimini Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.