Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Can ya help me choose my next boat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/186414-can-ya-help-me-choose-my-next-boat.html)

Ona-Mission 05-11-2008 08:59 AM

Can ya help me choose my next boat?

I had set out to look for a 35 Cigarette or 36 Apache. Didn't think I wanted anything smaller or anything bigger. The big thing that narrowed me down to these are that I got hooked on poker runs and my little 27 Fountain just isn't enough boat when it gets rough. Yesterday I found a 31 Cigarette that just makes a lot of sence for so many reasons, however my fear is that I may find myself in exactly the same position in a year or two looking for a bigger boat because this isn't big enough for the rough waters either. In my 27' I would only take one person, because I didn't want to have to worry about someone standing behind me that I can't see. Should I have the same worry in 31? On one hand I love the idea of every few years upgrading, on the other hand I have the idea waiting to sell. The bigger and more $$ the boats get the longer it takes to find a buyer. Thanks in advance for your experiences.

vette131 05-11-2008 09:09 AM

you won't be disapointed with the ride on a cig bullet,
great rough water boat. look for one with the notched
transom, they are faster. good luck

Craney 05-11-2008 09:26 AM

How about a 36 Pantera 08 that loves rough water.:cool-smiley-011:

Chris Sunkin 05-11-2008 09:30 AM

The Bullet is a nice boat but assuming Bay City is the one in Michigan and you're going to be boating on the Gret Lakes, you'll have to plan on missing alot of days due to rough water. When I moved from the Topgun to the 41 Apache, I found myself venturing out more often. When I stepped back to the 36,(towing considerations) I knew immediately I made a mistake.

Neither a 35 Cig nor a 36 Apache are boats that you'll find being tough to move or swift to depreciate- as long as you don't do extreme personalization on them.

Keep in mind, the Bullet is much bigger than the Fountain (which is really a 24) so it'll be alot more comfortable. The 35Cig and the 36 Apache are MUCH BIGGER than the Bullet. You'll be able to run comfortably in heavier water with little risk to a cockpit full of occupants.

masher44 05-11-2008 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
last year my buddy was in the exact same situation. he was patient and got a 35 cafe. he is very happy he did!!!!

Carder 05-11-2008 09:47 AM

It makes sense to look ahead towards future needs...
We went originally from a 32' Pachanga, to a 29' Fever...
The fever was a ton better, but not enough to handle what comes up weekly here on the bay. We got trapped by weather a number of times in Tawas or Caseville, unable to come home. Then we got the 35'... there is no issue ever with regard to waves generated on the bay... It is long enough to span them so you can stay on top of 4' to 5's.
I used to watch every wave coming at me, now I rarely need to look at the details because the boat just clobbers them.
Carder

Ona-Mission 05-11-2008 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Carder (Post 2554379)
It makes sense to look ahead towards future needs...
We went originally from a 32' Pachanga, to a 29' Fever...
The fever was a ton better, but not enough to handle what comes up weekly here on the bay. We got trapped by weather a number of times in Tawas or Caseville, unable to come home. Then we got the 35'... there is no issue ever with regard to waves generated on the bay... It is long enough to span them so you can stay on top of 4' to 5's.
I used to watch every wave coming at me, now I rarely need to look at the details because the boat just clobbers them.
Carder

Carder,
This is Pat Doyle. Thanks for the advice. You need to come run the Boyne Thunder. www.boynthunder.com I've talked to Mark, he jus has too much on his plate to get out for some fun

Carder 05-11-2008 10:07 AM

Pat,
Mark needs a new calender w/ 10 days a week, and 36 hr. days, and a wife that will work at one of his many businesses for more than a day a month.. did I say that w/ my outside voice? OOPs.
We always have wanted to do the Boynethunder... I hope to have another 35 by then, if I can sell the present one. If not, we will enjoy another Thumper season. Carder

milesd 05-11-2008 10:09 AM

I know of a 32 Fountain with or without power.
It has been in storage for the last 8 years without motors and the guy has just decided to sell it.
We can install whatever motors you want or you can buy it without motors.

Ona-Mission 05-11-2008 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Carder (Post 2554395)
Pat,
Mark needs a new calender w/ 10 days a week, and 36 hr. days, and a wife that will work at one of his many businesses for more than a day a month.. did I say that w/ my outside voice? OOPs.
We always have wanted to do the Boynethunder... I hope to have another 35 by then, if I can sell the present one. If not, we will enjoy another Thumper season. Carder

I wouldn't want to live a day in Marks life. I have two business that are in related industries, thats tuff enough. Can't imagine all the directions Mark is going when no two of his businesses are close to being related. It's amaizing he doesn't have a drinking or drug problem. Gary told me that you has some problems with Thumper 2. Sorry to hear it. Another Fountain? or something different? Think about the Boyne Thunder. I registered with my fountain, today it looks like i'm in a rubber raft unless I make a decision on my next boat. All years in the past we had about 35 to 39 boats entered, this year they are expecting 60 boats. With all those people someone must need an eye exam!