Importing boat from US to Canada >

Importing boat from US to Canada

Notices

Importing boat from US to Canada

Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Importing boat from US to Canada

Hey Guys, I am looking to buy a sea doo in Buffalo NY and I want to import it to Canada where I live, has anyone done this, what is the procedure? Also, if I am exporting the boat, do I pay tax in the US since I will have to pay Canadian taxes aswell? Anything to know aboout registering it, is this any different then just changing registration in Canada?
Any help would really be appreciated. thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default import

I imported a boat last year to Canada, would do it again in a heartbeat, was very easy and if come through Alberta , well, say no provincial sales tax.........must pay GST, will require a bill of sale. if you are importing a boat trailer then google R I V and its very straightforward. inspection will be required on the boat trailer, most trailers are fine. Nothing special with the boat, once hear apply for your new boat numbers as they are not transferable accross the boarder. Don't know what exporting is like....
Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Registered

thanks for the info, does anyone know if I have to pay taxes in the states when I purchase it? I have lots of friends who work at customs, so hopefully they will be able to help me out
Old 05-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Registered

Depends which state your in. I did NOT pay tax in the states but did in Canada at Fort Erie.
I hired a broker and had all the paperwork done ahead of time.
The border will be more interested in the trailer than the boat or watercraft. The trailer is mode of transport so you better have a registration for that for sure!
Once in Canada you have to go to any Canadian Tire store and get a survey of the trailer (its free) and they fill out a form and you take it ot eh MTO and get your plates.
As for the boat, just go to any local Customs office (or Employment Insurance office min my case?) and they will give you your Ontari numbers for the water craft. Just have your pink paper from the border and the original bill of sale.

That's it...all done in one day, two stops.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
thanks for the info, does anyone know if I have to pay taxes in the states when I purchase it? I have lots of friends who work at customs, so hopefully they will be able to help me out
I sold my last boat to a guy in saskatchewan.....didnt say anything about sales tax on the state side. He did need a temp tag on the trailer to get it through the border....go that the local license office. You only pay a tax in my state when you register the boat or car in your name.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ve3lt
Depends which state your in. I did NOT pay tax in the states but did in Canada at Fort Erie.
I hired a broker and had all the paperwork done ahead of time.
The border will be more interested in the trailer than the boat or watercraft. The trailer is mode of transport so you better have a registration for that for sure!
Once in Canada you have to go to any Canadian Tire store and get a survey of the trailer (its free) and they fill out a form and you take it ot eh MTO and get your plates.
As for the boat, just go to any local Customs office (or Employment Insurance office min my case?) and they will give you your Ontari numbers for the water craft. Just have your pink paper from the border and the original bill of sale.

That's it...all done in one day, two stops.
I have the trailer in canada and it is registered and has the papers, but do you know if I have to pay sales tax in NY state since I am going to be bringing it over the peace bridge, I know I will have to pay tax on the canadian side at customs. I would just rather not get hit with both NY state tax and then pst and gst. any help would be great
Old 05-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

You're all good Perl, if it's a private sale you'll only pay the GST when you get back to Canada. But if you've already got the trailer you should just tell em you were out jettin around the falls for the day
Old 05-29-2008, 07:26 AM
NorTechNorth.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
You're all good Perl, if it's a private sale you'll only pay the GST when you get back to Canada. But if you've already got the trailer you should just tell em you were out jettin around the falls for the day
PST is also applicable. Call me if you want. I am very familiar with the process.

Peter
705 487 7575
Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Double R Performance
PST is also applicable. Call me if you want. I am very familiar with the process.

Peter
705 487 7575
Thanks Peter, I will give you a call tomorrow.