Notices

Common boater's mistake?

Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pumped 50+ gals into the freshwater tank of a Sea Ray about 10 years ago. Holy Chit what a mess
Old 05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last season where I get gas the Marina pumped 150 gallon of gas into the water tank of a 40ft cruzer in front of me. Just got there when they were trying to figure out what to do other then give the guy his money back. Cant imaging that fresh water will taste good any time soon.

Funny thing is I almost understand because my gas cap and water cap look identical - so I see how the mistake could be made if your not filling your own boat.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Worked on a gas dock for seven years when I was younger. That would happen all the time in the old Chris Crafts. The flag holder was in the rear with the fuel fill and saw many an owner fill the wrong hole. Many people on the boat, beer in hand, what a mess.
At Channel Marina at the Weirs channel in NH the dock boy filled the bilge and it then went onto the cabin floor. He then went and got a shop vac and guess what happened. He was lucky to live after that one.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

A cruiser here in central NY filled his water tankwith gas. Somone flushed a toilet, fumes filled the boat. He continued to drive it and it blew up in a lock on the Erie canal. Lucky for him it was a flybridge, he and his wife were blown out, just had broken legs if I remember right.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

A buddy put 40 gallons in his fresh water tank 10 years ago......took all summer of flushing to get that smell/taste out of that water.

I've heard of it happening around here about once a year.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Hymmmmmm
Old 05-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Registered

More common than I would have thought.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is more common than one would think, a mistake people usually make just one time. Just be glad no one was smoking on the boat.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

My son accidently pumped gas into a rod holder on an old Mako I once owned. The fuel fill was located flush and about one foot ahead of a rod holder. The boat was on a trailer and I had removed the fuel fill cap and he reached up and inserted the filler nozzle into the rod holder and started pumping. Fortunatly I looked and sensed something was wrong and stopped him. About a half gallon was pumped through the rod holder and onto the deck. Fortunatly with a glass liner and scuppers we washed the gas out and aired everything out while pulling the trailer about 70 mph.
I've heard of people pumping huge quantities of diesel into rod holders on big sportfisher.
ed
Old 05-15-2008, 10:14 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
I have heard of people pumping the fuel into the fresh water tank but never a rod holder.
I was on am express cruiser making the Lake Charles run about ten years ago, the skipper pumped the gas at 6am and was wondering aloud why it only held forty gallons. ( he had very similar metal fillers about 10" apart)

When we got to Orange around 11am we went for a swim, first girl back on the boat uses the stern shower and pumps gas all over her.

gas was in the ice-makers too. Had to remove the fresh water tank, both fridges, water heater and most of the lines.

I consider myself very lucky to have made it off that boat that day

Quick Reply: Common boater's mistake?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.