Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur) >

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Notices

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The skies at departure.
Wasn't there some old saying about "Red Skies at Morning" ?
Attached Thumbnails OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)-img_0226.jpg   OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)-img_0227.jpg   OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)-img_0228.jpg  

Old 06-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

The screen before we left
Attached Thumbnails OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)-img_0229.jpg   OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)-img_0230.jpg  
Old 06-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered

The guy that "gave his right arm for a trip like that".
Attached Thumbnails OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)-img_0236.jpg  
Old 06-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

Thanks to a brush fire somewhere near Marco Island.
Red Skies at Night.
Attached Thumbnails OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)-img_0245.jpg   OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)-img_0247.jpg  
Old 06-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

Falling off the boat?!?!?! How many times has that happened to you in your boating career, much less at a more important time?

You could have just told us that the seas were so rough the injuries happened on the return trip and it would have been you guys' secret - we wouldn't have known

Congratulations on a world-record setting run and enough stories for years, I'm sure!!! Can't wait to see you to catch up!
Old 06-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Yes, back to Marco in record time as well. LOL Over 500 miles today. We took a break in Key West and came another 100 miles here. I want to sleep in my own bed tonight. It was a blast even tho there was a lot of tough going today again. Huge rollers and we were constantly changing the setup to keep the boat happy and then wham, a big un would hit us and we would drop down into a big hole. Over 8 hrs of that. Terry drove 80% of the time and did a great job of it. I had a fall when getting off the boat at Isla Mujures yesterday morning before we made that attempt. We had to turn back because of even bigger seas which we might have tackled had it not been for my injuries. I fell between the dock and the boat and would have been better to just fall in the water. My natural instincts kicked in tho and I grabbed the boat with my right arm and the dock with my left. I have torn ligaments and/or muscles in my right shoulder, cuts and scrapes to my right ankle, tore a nail of a toe on my left foot and banged up my left knee enough to have me limping along. When we came back in yesterday I decided best to see a doc at the Navy Hospital in Isla Mujures. Too funny. I will post pics when I eventually get time. No one spoke English and I do not speak Spanish. I had the lady doctor and nurse laughing so much. The bill was $27.00 and they worked on me for an hour including a shot which I told them was probably heroin and a wrap around my entire upper body to completely immobilize my throttle arm.
Would I do a project like this again ? You bet. In a heartbeat. But I think I will have a little recovery time first.
I will post more in the days ahead as I have time but for now, I think I will get some rest.
Thank you all who followed us along.
Bob
Bob we have never met but after hearing all of this makes you a "Hard Core Offshore Icon" in my book!! Heck it reminds me of that old picture of Don Aronow in which he is holding his arm and his shirt is ripped that was supposedly after a race somewhere...... But I think I read somewhere in one of the books about him, that picture was staged. No need to stage any photo like that for you!!!
Congrats!! Hope your recovery is fast!!! Heck you might even end up with a scar to remember the trip by!!! "Scars are trophies for the intense!!"
Old 06-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob and Terry,

Just catching up reading about the return trip. Bob you are one tough customer. Congratulations on the trip and looking forward to hearing the stories. By the way Happy fathers day

John
Old 06-17-2008, 07:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks everyone. While there was a serious side to this whole program of trying to do this and establish a record, when I looked at the picture that Jay posted before our departure from Key West it also reminded me that here are 5 OSO guys out for a blast on an offshore boat. For me, you have to have fun or it's not worth doing. We had fun every step of the way.
There also needs to be a purpose as records are made to be broken and one day someone will take this away from us. So our purpose was to raise a bit of money to help young Jennifur make her way thru college and have a chance at a better life. No one can take that away from us.
It's been great sharing this with our OSO friends as well and your support is greatly appreciated.
Maybe more later.
Bob
Old 06-17-2008, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

Congrats Bob ...job well done. I hope you can get up some energy for the Don Aronow Bimini run.....this Friday.

If not, you will be with us in spirit.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Congrats Bob ...job well done. I hope you can get up some energy for the Don Aronow Bimini run.....this Friday.

If not, you will be with us in spirit.

Thanks Charlie,

There is no way I can make it. I will certainly be with you in spirit and will be following your event. I damaged by right shoulder and need to get to a doctor. Right arm so I cannot throttle but know lots of guys who could for me. I need to start taking better care of my body. Soon I will be coming up on middle age ! LOL

I want to make a donation to your designated charity. I have not had time to look for those details and assume I can find that info in your thread. If not, please post here or PM me.

Thanks for thinking of me and all the best with your Bimini run. Next time for sure,

Bob

Quick Reply: OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.