Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur) >

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Notices

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Old 12-07-2009, 09:00 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Someone dedicated or who actually wants to land in Mexico could do it I guess somewhat easily.

My rig holds 240 gallons I guess if one would get a set of 525's and have a couple 150 gallon bladders made for the sponsons, it would be possible giving you something around 540 gallons thus about 400 miles of range 525's could avg around 90-95mph weather permitting. My fuel tanks are behind the cockpit so the sponsons are completely empty leaving A LOT of space for bladders. I am actually thinking of getting some bladders in order to lower the center of gravity of the boat.

I would be more inclined on doing Miami-NY, Miami - Nassau - Miami or something like that if I would set up a boat for that kind of range.
GL, I may have misled you with an earlier comment I made that our record could easily be broken. While I do believe that with all the right equipment, right conditions and some luck to go along with it, there is some time to be cut off ours. Doing the 400 mile crossing to Cancun will never be easy. There is so much that can go wrong in those hours out there with no land in sight and there is no one to come and get you. These mechanical beasts of our are subject to breakage at any time. We even carried spare props but in the seas we were in, had a prop failed it would have been impossible to do a prop change so we would have limped in on 2 motors without a record. If it were easy, Reggie's record would not have stood for 6 years.
I doubt that any long distance ocean endurance records will be broken using 525's even tho I think they are a great motor. My opinion after doing this is what is needed is a big heavy boat with big diesel power. You have to keep the azz end in the water and not launch and re-enter contantly as it takes a toll over time on both the crew and the equipment.
I agree that Miami to NY and Miami to Nassau would both be interesting runs. I believe the record holder for both is Fabbio Buzzi. He is my hero ( after you of coarse GL!! LOL ) I have cut and pasted some of his accomplishments below. It is interesting to note that on his really long endurance runs the average speeds are not as high as what one might think when compared his shorter runs. Probably for some of the same reasons for what we were up against. His time for the Mia - Nas - Mia was an average of 87 knots. I could not even think about that but a big cat could. it's only 150 miles out to Nas.
I believe the new Copeland Phenomenon plans on taking a run at the Mia - NY record if I read correctly. That will be very interesting to follow and hope they can do it.

Fabbio Buzzi:

THE DESIGNER
As a boat designer, Fabio Buzzi’s projects stands out for the winning of many trophies:

42 World Offshore Championships;
22 European Offshore Championships;
27 Italian Offshore Championships
56 World Speed Records;
The Harmsworth Trophy (1993 – 1994 – 1995)
And all the main endurance contests.

THE PILOT
1960: first race (Pavia-Venice)

1963: first time Italian Champion (C.U. class)

1979: Speed World Record for diesel engines (191 Km/h)

1984: Offshore 3/6 lt class - UIM World Champion
Round Britain Race winner

1988:
Offshore class 1 - UIM World Champion
Offshore class 1 - APBA World Champion

1992:
Speed World Record for diesel engines (252 Km/h)

1994:
Superboat - APBA World Champion
Cannonball Race (Miami-New York No-Stop) winner

1995:
A class - APBA World Champion
Superboat - APBA American Champion

1996:
B class - APBA World Champion

1997:
A class - APBA World Champion

1999:
Miami-Nassau-Miami Speed Record (87 knots average)

2001:
FB set 3 world endurance records

Round Italy - Venice to Montecarlo at 20 Knots

Montecarlo to London at 33 Knots

Round Britain at 45 knots

2002:FB win the Pavia-Venice Race at average speed of 182 km/h

2004:FB repeats himself by winning again the Pavia-Venice Race with his "3punti"gas turbine powered hydroplane at an average speed of 197 km/h .

September 22d, Great new undertaking for FB Design team headed by Fabio Buzzi whom with the mono-hull Sony (La Gran_Argentina) has established the new world record in the circumnavigation of the Italian peninsula from Venice to Monaco (1122 nautical miles) with the smashing time of 23 hours and 55 minutes at an average speed of 46.9 knots ( 87 km/hr.).

2008: FB won the Cowes-Torquay-Cowes of 182 miles, with the restored Cesa_1882, and he completed the race in 2h 18' 5' at an average speed of 91 mph .

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 12-08-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
He, he. Yep, a bit late for sure. it's all history by now. I'm actually surprised that no one has taken a run at this since we did it. With a bit of luck, and the right equipment this record can easily be broken. With good weather the full distance there is an hour or more that can be shaved off our time.

Bob
How's the shoulder now?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
How's the shoulder now?
I sure hope all is well. This is a fantastic thread. The story is way cool!! Would be nice to do this someday.

I think he had to drive from Canada to Cleveland, OH where he could actually get his MRI in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

How's the shoulder now?

Shoulder is perfect Cat. They did a great job on that. In the same fall I banged up my knee which turned out to be a torn meniscus. (sp?) Had surgery on that in May but is no better. I see the surgeon again in early January and not sure what will become of that. i really do not want any more surgery on it but have decided to see what my options are. It has not slowed my boating activities down so that is all that matters, right ? LOL

SDFever

I sure hope all is well. This is a fantastic thread. The story is way cool!! Would be nice to do this someday.

I think he had to drive from Canada to Cleveland, OH where he could actually get his MRI in a reasonable amount of time.

True, Fever. Several months to get an MRI in Canada unless you are dying so my family doc here actually advised me to not wait and get it done in the US. Cleveland Clinic is great.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:42 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

GL, ...as it takes a toll over time on both the crew and the equipment.

Looking forward to the next adventure.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 12-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the shoulder now?

Shoulder is perfect Cat. They did a great job on that. In the same fall I banged up my knee which turned out to be a torn meniscus. (sp?) Had surgery on that in May but is no better. I see the surgeon again in early January and not sure what will become of that. i really do not want any more surgery on it but have decided to see what my options are. It has not slowed my boating activities down so that is all that matters, right ? LOL

SDFever

True, Fever. Several months to get an MRI in Canada unless you are dying so my family doc here actually advised me to not wait and get it done in the US. Cleveland Clinic is great.
Bob, don't want to hijack your thread too far, but the wait is several months in Ontario, not everywhere in Canada..... Here in Ottawa we can drive over to Hull Quebec and have an MRI done in less than a week for $750...
Old 12-10-2009, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

How much did the MRI cost in the US? It isn't more then $750 usd is it?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bluellama
Bob, don't want to hijack your thread too far, but the wait is several months in Ontario, not everywhere in Canada..... Here in Ottawa we can drive over to Hull Quebec and have an MRI done in less than a week for $750...
No prob, Steve. That would be an option all right for those in eastern ON. I am an hour and a half drive from Buffalo and went there for an MRI on the knee. That was reasonable at $450 USD.
At Cleveland Clinic the shoulder was much more expensive at $3,500 for first visit and MRI. Total shoulder charges were around $27,000 USD.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

For those wondering about the 3 pics jay posted the first one is our approaching Isle Mejures ( an island just off of Cancun ) ; second pic is the prop that threw a blade the day before the run when crossing from Marco to Key West; and 3rd pic is spare fuel which thankfully we did not use. The cans were initially strapped down but got loose on us when the going got rough. All the lines are not pretty but really did the job securing the cans.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the same fall I banged up my knee which turned out to be a torn meniscus. (sp?) Had surgery on that in May but is no better. I see the surgeon again in early January and not sure what will become of that. i really do not want any more surgery on it but have decided to see what my options are.

I've got a bad knee from ten years ago. Pretty much stopped all my athletic activities. Hard for me to get in and out of boats too.

Quick Reply: OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.