Notices

What did he say ???

Old 05-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What did he say ???

Nice to get a reply, but I have no clue exectly what he said or meant.
is it in? or out?? the bill I mean...
Typ. gov goblediguqe?? (sp?)

Below is a response to the recent comments I received from you:

Dear Mr. xxxx'xxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Clean Boating Act. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to take this opportunity to respond to your concerns.

As you may know, a federal court order has directed the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to adopt a permit system for all vessels that discharge water by September 30, 2008. Requiring family boaters to secure a Clean Water Act permit so that they can wash their boat, fish or go waterskiing is unnecessary. Furthermore, it will be exceedingly costly and essentially unenforceable given the huge manpower needed at the EPA to manage the permitting workload of over 1 million recreational boats in the state of Florida alone. I support environmentally responsible recreational boating and would like to keep boaters from having to go through the onerous EPA permitting process to secure a Clean Water Act permit for the normal operation of their boats.

On March 13, 2008, Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) introduced the Clean Boating Act of 2008 (S. 2766), and on September 18, 2007, I introduced the Recreational Boating Act of 2007 (S. 2067). Both of these bills address the fundamental permitting issue by exempting recreational boat owners from EPA permit requirements, but they differ in the status granted to charter boats. S. 2766 has been referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works where it awaits further consideration.

I look forward to working with my colleagues in the 110th Congress to find a common sense solution for Florida's recreational boaters. As an avid outdoorsman and fisherman, I appreciate the value of our state’s biodiversity and natural heritage, and consider it important that we fight to protect it. When making decisions affecting our waterways and oceans, we must strive to strike a balance and make policy that is grounded in sound science.
Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have any additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
United States Senator
Old 05-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same response from Martinez this morning.