CNG fuel coversion with boats?

Notices

CNG fuel coversion with boats?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CNG fuel coversion with boats?

OK guys I've been looking into conversion of my daily driver over to CNG (Compressed natural gas)and Galileo kits arent that expensive. Anyone done a boat? Its huge on the west coast but not in the mid west....yet. By the way a GGE (Gasoline gallon equivolent)of gng is $1.96 here in Michigan....does that get your attention?

Last edited by dyno; 05-17-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have not done a boat or any motor for that matter, But gettn interested. We've been looking at the water to Hydrogen systems and other alternatives.

Hydrogen And I believe NG are lighter than Air = Safer for boats as the fumes will rise and not collect in the bilge.

Impacts in boats (Severe head on type) are less frequent than cars/trucks. Safer for the pressurized fuel tank.

Where is there more info on CNG? Galileo kit?
Old 05-17-2008, 10:23 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

look at mycngkit.com its a huge company in South America that converts everything to cng. There is also a forum like OSO called cngchat.com. There is a guy on there in the process of converting his boat right now that I'm watching closely.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dyno
By the way a GGE (Gasoline gallon equivolent)of gng is $1.96 here in Michigan....does that get your attention?
Think you just got everyones attention
Old 05-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Registered

Got my attention. Will it work with a carb engine?.

nevermind i just read that they will work with simple carbs
Old 05-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've also been reading about this. It's a really big fad right now in Utah, because it's selling for around what would be the equivalent of $1 gallon. I think I read it was around $12k to set up a car/truck for this. The only problem is fueling stations. There aren't too many places to get it. One guy I read about could go about 850 miles between a tank of cng and a tank of 87 octane between fill ups. Definitely interesting.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

carb motors are easier to convert....take a look at mycngkit.com. add the kit you would be dual fuel so you can run on cng around the marina and farting around and switch to regular when you run out or under wot. A home fueling station would be a must around here we han next to zero stations to fill up. This kit is under 2k per engine. I have a friend thats an automotive engineer thats converting a 1969 440 GTX, I'm watching very closely.......

Last edited by dyno; 05-17-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I was curious about this a while back, and did some calculations and investigation. Yes, it could be done. The downside is the weight, cost, and size of the tanks to have any decent amount of cruising range. Then when the tanks were empty, there is no filling them at the dock. Also the tanks are required to be inspected by a professional I believe once a year for structural soundness, which would be an additional hassle and add cost. You could fill them at home with one of the car sized compressors, but it could take a week to two weeks to compress enough fuel for a boat. There are filling stations in some areas, but a lot of the cost savings is lost due the markup at the station. Gas leaks in a boat could create an explosion harzard.

Michael
Old 05-18-2008, 10:40 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

cng explosions are very few it doesn't puddle like gas or gas fumes its lighter than air and quickly dissipates when there is a leak. I was thinking of adding the Galileo kit thus having a duel fuel boat always having the gasoline option at the flip of a switch. The weight is minimal tanks are aluminum wrapped in carbon fibre. I dont believe the tanks would be under the epa restrictions as a car would be but still looking into it....
Old 05-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Michael1
....... There are filling stations in some areas, but a lot of the cost savings is lost due the markup at the station. Gas leaks in a boat could create an explosion harzard.

Michael
Gas leaks in a gasoline powered boat would be an explosion hazard as well.

Quick Reply: CNG fuel coversion with boats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.