Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   TRS drive oil fill? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/187183-trs-drive-oil-fill.html)

GoFastSonic 05-21-2008 11:07 AM

TRS drive oil fill?

Ok how do you fill htese things? I have a drain which I would fill my bravo thru but there is no top screw to check level? The dipstick inside the Transom is just a resivor to keep the drive full I think.

jeff32 05-21-2008 11:13 AM

you got it. inside transom!

Chris Sunkin 05-21-2008 11:20 AM

Fastest way is to pull the top cap off and fill it up. Drains alot faster that way too. Then top off the reservoir. The inside tank is more of an expansion tank than anything else.

GoFastSonic 05-21-2008 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2565337)
Fastest way is to pull the top cap off and fill it up. Drains alot faster that way too. Then top off the reservoir. The inside tank is more of an expansion tank than anything else.

Hey just found screw all the way up buy the top cap LOL.
I like the idea of pulling the top cap and filling that way great idea thanks everyone.

Mike

Wally 05-21-2008 01:46 PM

DONT FILL THROUGH THE TOP CAP!!!! the drives must be filled from the bottom up!!! you fill it from the top and you will trap and air bubble in there.....then when you go to run it the air will either airate the ail or work its way to the top and you will be without oil coverage on the upper gears and that will = disaster!!!

Chris Sunkin 05-21-2008 02:16 PM

I should have added this part- let it sit. If you need to use it this afternoon, pressure-feeding thru the bottom is the way to go.

J-Bonz 05-21-2008 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2565538)
I should have added this part- let it sit. If you need to use it this afternoon, pressure-feeding thru the bottom is the way to go.

Few....... glad ya cleared it up for em.. We dont need trs getting a bad rap :)

GoFastSonic 05-21-2008 09:07 PM

Thanks I took the top cap off and filled it slow while turning the prop. Took 3 quarts of fluid the sealed it up and put 1/2 quart in the resivor. I will check again before puting in the water. Thanks for all the help.

Rookie 05-21-2008 09:51 PM

don't always believe the dipstick in the resivior. I kept checking my dipstick but apparently the check valve was not working properly. clogged (the valve that does not allow oil to drain out of the resivoir when drive is pulled) I ran my top half dry and trashed my upper gears and housing. I now pull the cap and take a visual look.

I pull the top cap and then the bottom plug to drain. and always fill from the bottom with cap off.

Chris Sunkin 05-21-2008 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by J-Bonz (Post 2565900)
Few....... glad ya cleared it up for em.. We dont need trs getting a bad rap :)

I guess it's semi-obvious that the drive takes more than 6 ounces of oil, but that's all that will go in thru the top at any one time. It has to find its way down. I know- never assume anything.