Notices

Oil Temp Help Please

Old 05-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Temp Help Please

Ok guys where does your oil temp usually run, and what temp at what Rpm's, reason I ask is I was out with a friend today and when we ran the boat(35 Lighting) with 465hp 502ci's the water temp ran 140-160 and the oil temp ran up to around 300 on a 3min or so WOT run, when we slowed down the temps came down slowly and eventually didn't run much of any temp when running at 3000 rpm's, The motors came out of a boat that had lavorsi guages and this boat has Stewart Warner guages, all guage sending units are from the boat with Lavorsi guages, all guages seem to work fine except for the oil temp or the boat is running HIGH oil temp. What do you guys think?? Is this ok??? is the guage not working ecause of the sending unit not matching or another issue??? These motors ran great in the other boat and never had any issues.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nitrousnolan
Ok guys where does your oil temp usually run, and what temp at what Rpm's, reason I ask is I was out with a friend today and when we ran the boat(35 Lighting) with 465hp 502ci's the water temp ran 140-160 and the oil temp ran up to around 300 on a 3min or so WOT run, when we slowed down the temps came down slowly and eventually didn't run much of any temp when running at 3000 rpm's, The motors came out of a boat that had lavorsi guages and this boat has Stewart Warner guages, all guage sending units are from the boat with Lavorsi guages, all guages seem to work fine except for the oil temp or the boat is running HIGH oil temp. What do you guys think?? Is this ok??? is the guage not working ecause of the sending unit not matching or another issue??? These motors ran great in the other boat and never had any issues.
both engines run about the same temp? if so I would guess the gauges are off... get a digital inf. gun & zap the oil filters
Old 05-22-2008, 02:29 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

It needs sending units compatible with the SW guages.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
It needs sending units compatible with the SW guages.
Yup I think your right, Chris at sterndrive told me the same thing, Thanks for the knowledge.