496 MAG HO Help Needed....ASAP >

496 MAG HO Help Needed....ASAP

Notices

496 MAG HO Help Needed....ASAP

Old 05-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 MAG HO Help Needed....ASAP

Well it's Memorial Weekend and I'm having a small problem and need some help to correct it...I have a 97 32' Fountain Fever with a pair of 2006 Mercuray 496 MAG HO's... This has happned the last 2 times I have taken the boat out, last weekend and yesterday.

Starbord motor runs 100% perfect...

Port motor runs great then intermittently shuts down and immidiately starts back up...sort of like turning your car key off and right back on while your driving down the road...

After the motor cut on and off 3 or 4 times the motor will not restart on it's own or with the key, you cant hear the fuel pump running when you turn on the key. If you let the motor sit a while and what seems like cool off, motor will start up fine and run....

it wont do it on the trailer, it only does it when the boat is in the water and under load.

Scanned both motors early today and nothing...

I thought it possibly was a bad relay, or the beginings of a bad relay...

ARRRRGHHH.....Memorial weekend and it sounding like I may be on the trailer
Old 05-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Check and make sure your kill switch is on securely. I had that happen a couple a year ago. The plastic fork attached to the lanyard had relaxed and was no longer holding the switch securely. I would hit a small wake and it would cut out or die. Made me crazy until I figured it out. This was on a 1998 boat.

Good luck,
Old 05-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Padraig
Check and make sure your kill switch is on securely. I had that happen a couple a year ago. The plastic fork attached to the lanyard had relaxed and was no longer holding the switch securely. I would hit a small wake and it would cut out or die. Made me crazy until I figured it out. This was on a 1998 boat.

Good luck,
Thanks for the suggestion

I'm typically prone to dumb stuff like that, so I checked...lol The boat only had one lanyard so the starborad motor wouldnt run...

Thanks and have a good weekend
Old 05-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

switch a couple things in the ignition sys to see if the problem moves .
Old 05-24-2008, 07:07 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

it sounds like your fuel pump is heating up and quiting. I had this happen before on a car i had, pretty much the same type of fuel system. They can heat up and bind than after it sits for a while it'll cool off and free up.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-24-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Badly plugged fuel filters will do this. They pressure up and a little fuel seeps thru- enough to start and maybe idle or free-rev. But then when you need significant fuel flow, it won't pass that much. I've also seen fuel line restrictions/kinks do this. I had a motor once that had fuel tank debris stuck between the carb body and the seat of the needle & seat- just a trickle would get through and fill the fuel bowl- once it was used up, the engine would die. The bowl would refill and all was well again- for a minute.

Ignition modules can exhibit this behavior as well. Once they warm up, the heat causes a breakdown. Easy to test. Squirt them with a hose to cool them off.

Switching parts left to right is a good suggestion. If the problem moves, you've got it.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:29 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Fuel problem shouldn't be a quick on/off/on, and I would think should happen on the trailer. I would be looking at wiring, especially grounds. Put your hands on every connection and see if you can wiggle it. Possibly try swapping ecm's side to side.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

?????? What the hack??? Now it's a fountain??
Did you buy my old 496's ??
See some of my old threads regarding engine quiting and starting up again.
HP fuel pump. not enough gas.. motor goes into guradian mode. Once lower fuel flow is neeeded motors runs ok.
I have a brand new HP pump for you. Sill in box plastic unoppened. I got two but only the port side was changed.
There may be a sensor throing the motor to Guard mode.
If you lucky,,, clean the filters inside the fuel pumps (both low an High preassure) and you might be ok.
Chris has the right ideas to.

Give me a call.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Check all connections on the back of the ignition (key switches).

I had bad ethanol fuel last year that ruined my fuel filters, fuel water separators, and fuel pumps on my 496HOs.
Do you have completely separate fuel tanks, two tanks with a crossover, or 1 giant tank? If its two tanks, you could have gunk in one that had hosed the fuel system.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When it won't start, listen to see if the power and fuel pump relays are operating when you turn the key on. If so, check the pump with a volt meter. If it has voltage and not running it's the pump. If nothing is powering up, you've got an open circuit. Try reseating the cannon plug. They quite often will cause these types of problems.

Quick Reply: 496 MAG HO Help Needed....ASAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.