Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do Blowers leak?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/187412-do-blowers-leak.html)

mcprodesign 05-24-2008 03:26 PM

Do Blowers leak??

When making boost I get fumes in the cockpit. Are b&M blowers prown to have a spot that leaks??
Any help would be grand...Chad

Tinkerer 05-24-2008 09:14 PM

could just be exhaust leaks that show up only under boost due to higher exhaust pressures.

Back4More 05-24-2008 09:59 PM

You mean "gas" fumes?
If you do, stop till you find it...under boost only? Check your intake gaskets at the heads, Blower to base gasket and anything else that seals off on top.
Your fuel line connections......

BadDog 05-25-2008 07:41 AM

I have a B&M 250. There are two version of gaskets intake to blower housing. One is a cut flat gasket and the other is the O-ring style. Use both to avoid leaks.

mcprodesign 05-25-2008 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by BadDog (Post 2569204)
I have a B&M 250. There are two version of gaskets intake to blower housing. One is a cut flat gasket and the other is the O-ring style. Use both to avoid leaks.

You my friends are a life saver. (literally) ..I see the leak at the base of the blower. I'm going for the Oring and paper both ..Thanks.Again!:D

stirling 05-26-2008 11:31 AM

You may want to check the blow off valve too (if you have any)

mine has the valve mounted on the intake manifold ,and its spring loaded ,and can open if boost press is too high ,or the springs are not tight enough,some call this a burst panel ,that can openup when a backfire is pushing the valve open to protect the rotors in the blower

I used loctite 574 on my O ring ,and on the surfaces ,this works great.

Oh and watch out not to overtorque the nuts /studs that holds the blower on the manifold ,don,t know the exact torque values ,but its not that much,because of the blowercasing will deflect under too much torque,and the rotors will hit the casing

mcollinstn 05-26-2008 05:53 PM

anything that has a pressure differential from one side to the other is a potential leak.

All over your boat, there can be things spurting out of pressure lines or out of gasketed surfaces, and there can be air being sucked into things that are under vacuum.

It's a constant battle...
mc

RunninHotRacing163.1 05-27-2008 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by mcollinstn (Post 2570218)
anything that has a pressure differential from one side to the other is a potential leak.

All over your boat, there can be things spurting out of pressure lines or out of gasketed surfaces, and there can be air being sucked into things that are under vacuum.

It's a constant battle...
mc

Hey BIG DADDY spray starting fluid along the base of the blower and if the motor revs you've found the leak , and Locktite is not recommended for gaskets DRY will work perfect ..good luck