Speedo Trouble Please Help >

Speedo Trouble Please Help

Notices

Speedo Trouble Please Help

Old 06-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo Trouble Please Help

My speedometer has always worked fine. It is nothing fancy just the old pressure style with one rubber line going to it from the water with the pickup on the rear of the boat. I put in a new steering cable recently and was anchored in shallow water so I'm not sure which or both contributed to my speedo not working but it doesn't work anymore. I noticed I accidentally kinked the line where it goes into the back of the speedo so I thought that was it but after fixing it it still doesn't work. If I remove the line from the rear of the speedo I can blow through the line but there seems to be quite a bit of resisitance. I ran the boat in the lake with the line off the back of the speedo and no water comes out? Shouldn't it? I can't figure out what is wrong with this thing and I feel kind of dumb because its such a simple setup.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the Pitot tube on the transom is plugged? Try cleaning it out with a coat hanger or piece of wire.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts

Its clogged at the pick up on the drive.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Registered

If you can't blow through it i'd say it's plugged. Mine went out last year and it took me several trys to get it fixed. I cleaned the holes, checked the joints in tubes, blah blah blah. nothing. i take the guage out and hit it with super low air pressure and it works. so i decided to drain the old fluid out and refill while it was out. anyways, something musta been up with the needle cuz it worked after that.
BUT- a month or so later it stopped again! I found a slice about 1 inch long in the tube replaced and worked.
THEN- about 1 week later, it stopped again so i checked the tube and found it had exploded. literally! you could plainly see where an air pocket formed in the line and caused major stretching and expansion before the line finally gave.
SO- i replaced that just this spring, worked great for about 5 mins and the joints seperated.
TODAY- plugged them back together, re-clamped...2 mins after running they seperated again!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm gonna lose my mind soon. anyone got a suggestion for ME? lol
Old 06-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

GPS speedo. Leaves less money for drinking, I know--but....
Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I hear David Richard is an expert in speedo's..you might want to give him a call...
Old 06-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Registered

If I remove the line from the back of the speedo it should push water out of it when I am running the boat down the lake correct? I can blow through it with my mouth but there is a lot of restriction. I should be able to blow through it freely?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:03 AM
Registered

freely is a bit much i think....you gotta remember, you're trying to blow air through that tiny tube all the way back to your drive. how many twists and turns does it take? more then you think, and ANY bends make it that much harder.
what have you checked so far?
and as for water coming out while running, i dunno bro. hopefully someone with more knowledge will help ya. i was just gettin this back to the front page for ya! lol