Gas prices vs Boat prices? >

Gas prices vs Boat prices?

Notices

Gas prices vs Boat prices?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas prices vs Boat prices?

Do you think after of running this summer that we will see a lot of boats up for sale and do you think the bottom will drop out of powerboats like the large suv's and trucks are now? And yes I understand gas is a small expense for a lot of high end boaters. It would be interesting to hear some of your committs.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Registered

I sell cars, and I can say YES, people are dumping them at a ridiculous pace right now.

At one point monday, we had an Explorer, 3 Xterras, and a Grand Cherokee getting appraised for trade at the same time. Wow.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Registered

I'm going to keep both rather then lose my azzz. Blew 350 on gas for a 26ZX Donzi and a F-250 4x4 towing it just 60 miles one-way. Boating is no longer a pleasurable hobby. I used to spend that much on repairs, now its a day on the water. Those of you who have deep pockets wont understand the dilema facing the avg. boater. I gave up my 30 spectre due to insurance issues and now just wanting to get on the water is a huge expense. Say what you want, this Govt. and Congress are steering this country into the abyss. Totaly out of touch with soceity and how people are going to pay bills. I make a good living, but my daughters are struggling to make ends meet with the cost of living right now, and getting to and from work with gas at 4.00 dollars.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Memorial Day weekend....our gas dock was empty... I fueled up along with Sak and there were no other boats fueling up or even waiting to fuel up, we usually wait in line.... Half the boats haven't even cut thier shrink wrap off yet and out of almost a dozen lifts on my dock there's only 4 of us out there so far. Maybe the weather the past couple weeks effected it but who knows....

Other than some fishing boats, the rivers had literally half the amount of boats than usual... There were boats out there but not half as many as in years past and I thought last years numbers were down....
Old 05-28-2008, 07:49 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The price of fuel will have a chilling effect on our sport. Boating is paid for out of extra income. You spend a lot of this income just to live and boating goes bye the way for necessities, food, shelter, clothes, and to and from work to pay for the necessities.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yesterday I seen a bunch of gas stations at $4.05 per gal. in FLA. I also saw a bunch of stations closed down. I think this gas BS will kill the avarage boaters. OS boating and buying will become only for the elite, just like high price yachts. Just look at this forum. Posts, threads are down. members on line is down. Boat prices are down. (and sillly me, I just bought one, a few months ago, should have waited) I'm ok for a while, but my Doughter and Son are in deep shlt, just like the country. I will probobly keep the Avanti for a year then it will be sold for peanuts.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys chill a little.I don't like the prices either but if we are smart enough to afford these boats we can get through this.I can remember as a little kid my Father screaming that gas went to .30 cents a gallon.The world did not end then and it won't now
Old 05-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Donzi Corleone
I'm going to keep both rather then lose my azzz. Blew 350 on gas for a 26ZX Donzi and a F-250 4x4 towing it just 60 miles one-way. Boating is no longer a pleasurable hobby. I used to spend that much on repairs, now its a day on the water. Those of you who have deep pockets wont understand the dilema facing the avg. boater. I gave up my 30 spectre due to insurance issues and now just wanting to get on the water is a huge expense. Say what you want, this Govt. and Congress are steering this country into the abyss. Totaly out of touch with soceity and how people are going to pay bills. I make a good living, but my daughters are struggling to make ends meet with the cost of living right now, and getting to and from work with gas at 4.00 dollars.
Isn't it sick how much the cost of our passion has gone up? Last week i got a letter in the mail something to the effect "respected business leaders, bla, bla, bla has been invited to have dinner with the President" My first reaction was that I am not going to support that F?*&king dick. He has this nation so messed up now, with little signs on short recovery. It's so much bigger the just the cost of gas to play or even just to get to work... Sorry to vent... I'll stop... Hope there aren't any bush fans reading.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:18 PM
JnT
Registered

I work part time for a marine retail store that competes with West Marine.The main reason is to support my boating habit. I've seen a decrease in impulse buys and a focus on neccesary parts. Sales are down but people are still boating.

On the lake there are a lot less boats running all day and more anchoring in coves just hanging out.

It all comes down to your personal preferance and budget. We have high rollers that can swing 1000 a day for fuel to the guys in jon boats that spend 10 for the whole day.

I do both. The Apache will burn 28 gallons per hour running hard or way less cruising. Right now we are dialing the boat in so I'm doing a lot of top speed runs. I'm comfortable with the money paid out for gas now but irritated at the same time. We may have to quit eating out so much and downgrade our menu from steak to chicken at home but we will continue boating.

When the gas budget exceeds what I'm comfortable with we will run our small fishing boat. It takes a little longer to get there and its a rough ride but we can still be on the water.

On the holidays we will definitely be saving the extra cash for gas in the Apache.

When I bought the Apache I was pizzed that gas was 1.33 !!

Thats what I get for not finishing the boat earlier!
Jim
Old 05-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Registered

Been trying to sell my boat for 2 years and now I don't even get calls. It will be a classic by the time it sells

Quick Reply: Gas prices vs Boat prices?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.