Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Seems slow to plane!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/187787-seems-slow-plane.html)

Donzi Corleone 05-29-2008 06:21 PM

Seems slow to plane!!

My Donzi 26zx seems slow to plane with 4 or more people on board. The engine is a 496ho with a 26p Bravo1 merc. prop. It's like a Sea-Ray trying to get up. Could it be Im so used to that 30 cat with twin O/B 300's launching. Was thinking maybe the drive all the way down is counter-productive to getting it up and out. Was going to try starting at 2 rather then 0 to get on plane quicker. It seems ok with just 2 of us on the boat. Any suggestions or is this just the norm.

AIR TIME 05-29-2008 06:53 PM

bring it to 3grand tabs down a little trim in, otherwise with it on 2 it should point to the sky. you do not want to nail a bravo 1. I spun a prop and the coupler the 1st season I had my Baja 18yrs ago:p. since then nothing and I went from 330hp to 650hp. So take it easy once your up and running hit it mine pulls like a mother with B1 26 I break it loose if I am not careful. going to another 100 hp and a 30B1. hope that helps art ps cats a different animal. lots of fun at 46ft 3000 plus hp. ha haa

UNSANE 05-29-2008 07:19 PM

Drive and tabs all the way down until you start making some headway and then start bringing the tabs up and when she's "free" get your drive up to neutral (for starters) and get those tabs up to at least neutral, if not negative (depends on conditions) and then you're on your way. Don't floor it either because of the drive. It's not going to launch like your old boat, so get used to it. It's the nature of a single engine offshore. 26" Bravo.....What's your gear ratio? I would think you would have to be a 1.65 and not a 1.5 with that power.

Smitty 05-29-2008 09:34 PM

I think that prop is too big. I think you would be better with a 24" prop. What rpm are you hitting at full throttle ??

Stache 05-30-2008 08:05 AM

had same problem check spark plug wires one fell of my 496 did not run rough just would not plane

Chris Sunkin 05-30-2008 09:01 AM

The Donzi is no flyweight. It is definitely going to take more to get up than a lightweight cat with alot more horsepower. 26 does seem like alot of pitch though. And even thinking about pounding that Bravo to get it moving is going to be very expensive. The 0 trim and then moving the tabs down after you're getting close is a good suggestion. +2 trim will probably prevent it from planing altogether.

Wobble 05-30-2008 11:43 AM

Another vote for a 24 prop or having a prop shop do a little trim on the one you have.

jimmyjr 05-30-2008 01:12 PM

less pitch means faster out of the hole but remember every action has a reaction. so you may loose on your top end.i have three props for my donzi.1prop for when i have lots o f people on board 2for the kids to ski and wake board.3for when i want to go fast.my third prop takes a while to get going but when its wide open im happy with my results.

Donzi Corleone 05-30-2008 06:44 PM

Gonna try to plane dwn some see what happens, then I will entertain the 24p idea