Remote control boats on OSO >

Remote control boats on OSO

Notices

Remote control boats on OSO

Old 08-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Remote control boats on OSO

Has anyone purchased any boats from the link on the OSO home page?
http://www.wowzzers.com/index.php?cP...FRLhxgodQQVFpw

I have had my run ins with gas models and I do not have the patients to deal with them. I would like to buy an electric one if they have one that is fast. Anyone have any experience? With the price of fuel I need another option for my Saturdays!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been into RC boats for over 10 years, I am sorry but you get what you pay for. Any ready to run that claims 25 mph and costs less than $500.00 will result a waste of money. If the add says 25 MPH, divide it by 4 for the actual real speed. I have a 40" cat with a 23cc two stroke engine at 12,000 rpm that does 26 MPH, total cost of materials for me to build this from parts was about $800.00 I am not slamming the advertersizer as all these "plastic" boats claim outragous speeds because the average guy has no way to verify them, I use a small hand held GPS on mine and the boat has to be big enough for the weight of the GPS to not affect the speed. I verify RPM with a very light weight two stroke rpm meter that has a lead that raps around the spark plug wire. Your best bang for speed is a nitro like ProBoat's 1/12 scale hydro, I believe it does about 30 to 35 mph. You will need to throw away the prop that comes in the kit and get one that is sharpened and balanced by a pro (bonze or ss is what I use). The ProBoat 1/12 sells for about $350.00. If you want to go faster than 35 you will need to either build it yourself or you will need to buy a custom rig by one of the good builders such as warehouse hobbies, bonzi boats, etc. As for really fast electrics, the best ones use the brushless motors that cost about $300 just for the motor, then you need the cells, high amp speed control that is water cooled, good fiberglass or carbon fiber hull, radio gear, and running gear with pro-polished sharpened prop.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_109/tt.htm

I bought my son the little super vee 27 - Fun little brushless electric but only last about 6 - 10 minutes.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 25-30" Tunnel boat with a 3.5 cc K&B nitro motor and it runs about 30mph...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the new brushless electric boats? They seem to haul azz.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Ara
Registered

The brushless electrics are quite fast. Out of the box, the Pro Boat Blackjack 26 Brushless will run at least 30mph on nimh batteries. If you use li-pos's probably more like 35mph at a minimum. Same with the Aquacraft Supervee. Both also cost less than 300 buck less batteries, and have fiberglass hulls.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Originally Posted by db71
I was looking at the bonzi boats website the 84" classic is pretty cool I wonder how fast it is with the twin twin cylinder engines.
I would not want to guess as to speed with that combination. If I recall, each twin engine is 7 HP total but there is a ton of weight due to the twins twins. total 14 HP,

I do know that you would have a significatly faster boat if you used two (2) QuickDraw 35cc engines at 8 HP each with each engine less weight than the twin cylinder set up. 16HP, Quickdraws go for about $1,500 each so...costs go up.

One typical engine supplier
http://www.bhhanson.com/Marine%20Eng...uct%20Line.htm

http://www.quickdrawengines.com/sample_41Y/Page_1x.html
just look at the photo on the first page, this is a model doing about 90 mph. Also there is video of models with their 35cc and 25cc engines hauling azzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!:ernaehru ng004:

From Bonzi's web site the twin 25cc engine "weighs less than 7 lbs, I would say add clutch and you got 7.5 Pounds easy more like 8 lbs, the 35cc single with clutch at 8 HP would weigh about 5.8 pounds (from Marine Specialities website).

Zenoah's are cute, but for real power you gotta go Qickdraw. No I do not have any interest in the company, but I have purchased every other motor out there trying to avoid the $$$$ of the Quickdraw only to be disappointed. I have a 23cc Zenoah, a 33CC MHZ, and a 40CC Polini (from MHZ that was supposed to be 10 HP, but I bet it couldn't pull past 6 on the dyno, it is also heavier than all get out).

If I were to buy the 84" hull, I would install twin 35 cc Quickdraws on each side, I bet you would NOT be able to hold the throttle all the way open...but that is too much cost for me...I would love to see one of youse guys with really deep pockets build a big rocket ship out of that hull.

Last edited by 88Fount33; 08-01-2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: clarification and expansion
Old 08-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend and I run Traxxis Villan EX boats. Think they were about $400 each or so for the whole set up. Fun little plastic electrics. Not sure of top speed. Twin battery packs last about 30 minutes regular use...10-15 if you're heavy into the throttle.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Registered

with the supervee 27 as mentioned above is well worth the money and is actually pretty quick ......with good batteries it will run probably above 50 mph
Old 08-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Ara
Registered

Hey Gino, check out this forum for fast electrics.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/

Quick Reply: Remote control boats on OSO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.