Notices

OHIO River Accident??

Old 05-31-2008, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cfischer
[
Wow!! Sure hope the guys family don't read this.
When sensitivity starts bringing people back from the dead, I'll be the first guy in line. Sometimes people have to be shocked into taking action. Many simply don't believe it could happen to them or don't even realize that a possibility exists and a solution that prevents it.

Life jackets? Do we even need to discuss the merits of wearing life jackets?

If a few more boaters install lanyards or start using the one's they have as a result of being confronted by the cold reality that it's dangerous and stupid to not have these crucial safety devices, then I'm perfectly willing to bear the burden of being the insensitive a$$hole that delivers the message.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by cfischer
[If a guy doesn't want to wear a lanyard and a jacket, then I have no sympathy for them when they die- they were asking... begging for it.
Wow!! Sure hope the guys family don't read this.
I thought that was very harsh myself and out of character from Chris.

Last edited by pm203; 05-31-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pm203
I thought was very harsh myself and out of character from Chris.
Out of character??
A slap in the face reality check from Chris? I'm used to seeing that. It's hard to take sometimes, but it's pretty honest.
As far as the fellow boaters, at this point we can only hope for a recovery.
Unfortunately, that outcome looks unlikely at this point.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by pm203
I thought was very harsh myself and out of character from Chris.

Maybe I'm just feeling a little crusty this morning. Or maybe I'm growing weary at seeing someone else needlessly die in a sport that I'm pretty fond of. And I can't believe there's any shred of debate on the merits of using safety equipment, or that some (many) people still don't use it.

People talk about having sensitivity for those they left behind. I think the most insensitive thing a person can do is needlessly expose themselves to easily avoidable risks that ultimately lead to their demise. If their families are feeling pain today, I would submit to you that the majority of it comes from the fact that these people are gone. And, now they have to live with the thoughts that no one had to die and likely wouldn't have had there been proper use of safety equipment.

If you boat and don't wear vests and lanyards, or if you consume alcohol and operate your boat, think about these people's families this morning- then think about your own. Consider the pain and burden they'll bear if you're not there.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:50 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Maybe I'm just feeling a little crusty this morning. Or maybe I'm growing weary at seeing someone else needlessly die in a sport that I'm pretty fond of. And I can't believe there's any shred of debate on the merits of using safety equipment, or that some (many) people still don't use it.

People talk about having sensitivity for those they left behind. I think the most insensitive thing a person can do is needlessly expose themselves to easily avoidable risks that ultimately lead to their demise. If their families are feeling pain today, I would submit to you that the majority of it comes from the fact that these people are gone. And, now they have to live with the thoughts that no one had to die and likely wouldn't have had there been proper use of safety equipment.

If you boat and don't wear vests and lanyards, or if you consume alcohol and operate your boat, think about these people's families this morning- then think about your own. Consider the pain and burden they'll bear if you're not there.
I have to say I agree. Boating is fun. Drinking and partying is fun. But the 2 are a deadly combination. Most of us do it, but the way to do it is to just idle back home. It's hard to get hurt at 5knts. If you are going to be that far away from home that you have to go fast to get home either don't drink or sleep on the boat 'til morning.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my friends just told me that the boat was a 30' Scarab Panther sporting 1500hp.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:19 PM

Found-
http://www.wcpo.com/mediacenter/loca...om&navCatId=23
Old 05-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats a shame,praying for there family's

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Registered

The panther in that pic is almost identical to mine. Mine has stock kill switches. Never seen a panther without them. I've hooked hard in this boat and found jesus about wearing the lanyards.

For your sake Chris Sunkin I hope you didn't really mean what you said about not having sympathy for these dead powerboaters. That is just plain rotten. We have all errored and not been bit. I find those people who take the highest moral ground on topics are generally the biggest offenders and the least moral on the subject matter at hand..
Old 05-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered

I miss the old days when somebody would invariably chime in with
something like: "I've been boating 25 years and a I've never seen
the need for a lanyard". What ever happened to these colorful
people?

Pesky Varmint

Quick Reply: OHIO River Accident??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.