Notices

OHIO River Accident??

Old 06-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunrunner72
My favorite part of the original news video was when the guy said the boat floated "up" river with the current. Obviously, a very knowledgeable newsman.
Since when are the talking heads knowledgeable?

The river was going up on the map. Yea, that's it, that's the ticket.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bouyhunter
Pulled this pic from another site. The boat on the news story blurb video looked awfully similar to this boat.
Not sure if this was the boat but it is supposedly local.

I took that picture at the Dolphin Inn on Ft Myers Beach. The owner of the boat was staying there for a couple weeks while we were there so we talked to him just about everyday. The docking situation was unique as you can tell in that picture. Nice guy, beautiful Scarab that he had put alot of time and money into.

I talked to Travis, the owner of the Dolphin Inn to confirm his name. He was excited at first and said he was actually getting ready to confirm his reservation this year. Then I had to break the news to him............

RIP
Old 06-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA
I took that picture at the Dolphin Inn on Ft Myers Beach.
I remembered when you first posted that photo on islandpirates, and recognized the boat right away when I saw it on the news.
Beautiful boat.
Very sad outcome to their day of boating.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
On lanyards-

If you fall out and your boat keeps going, it makes it harder for rescuers to find you. You're also risking other people's lives with your now-unguided missile. As mentioned, it's also harder to climb back on board and rescue yourself, not to mention that being run over by your own boat. I keep reading comments about how lanyards may not help you save yourself, ignoring the obvious and most important function they have... keeping the craft from injuring others. This leads me to believe that there's not enough discussion about lanyards. So, what downside exists to wearing one?

On jackets- Do we really need to discuss why wearing one is important? Yet, many still don't. If you don't want to wear them, I really don't care. Unlike the lanyard, it's only you that you're risking. But maybe not- alot of the time I have less-experienced boaters or non-boaters with me. If I'm not wearing one, they'll likely assume they don't need one either. I think there's some implied responsibility there, but that's up to you. I know two people who drowned in separate incidents that 100% would have survived had they been wearing jackets. (one fell in after having a few and trying to take a leak standing on the sunpad- at night of course) I've been to the funerals and have seen their wive's and children's faces and I've seen the struggle they've put up to survive not having their husbands/fathers around. If you don't care about that or your own family, I don't know what to say.

Drinking? Picture yourself in an airport, about to put your kids on an airplane. As you're in line, the captain walks down the entryway, sipping on a Budweiser. Are you going to put your kids on the plane? Hey, he's only had a couple.

My comments are GENERAL and pertinent to so many of the stories we read about each and every season. You're right- no one knows yet why these people died. Since reports say the boat continued onward it can be safely presumed they weren't using a lanyard system. Since it took hours to find them, it's presumable they weren't wearing vests- or at least sufficient vests. If you feel that sensitivity will inspire or inform someone about the safety risks we all are exposed to, you continue on that path. Myself, I'd rather post something harsh and controversial that gets people talking. Sometimes it takes a slap to get someone to wake up. Many times on here it involves a newer boater or a guy moving from a bowrider to a performance boat for the first time. If they hit this thread and any of this makes them safer, then the rest of you can go right on thinking I'm an a$$hole.

These people dying is certainbly regrettable. If nothing else, I feel for their families. If it's determined that their own actions caused or contributed to their own demise, all I can say is that they made their own choices and they paid for them.
Well said post and I agree with the safety message 100%.

I've been pro-lanyard after losing a fellow waterman (at the time) when he was working the water by himself and fell overboard on his way back in. It was winter and it must have been a pretty awful death. The boat was found still running but he wasn't found for a few days. I think about it every time I go down to his now defunct crabbing and oystering house.

That said, I do feel sorry for them and certainly I feel sorry for the families.

God Bless.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:23 AM
Registered

Very sad news indeed. Especially for the Scarab community. If they did in fact drown, no doubt the bodies will surface in a couple of days...
Old 06-03-2008, 05:28 AM
ENABLER
Platinum Member

Unhappy

After a double drowning on the Ohio River and a 24 hour search. Recovery crews have now pull a second victim from the water. Earlier Saturday, the other body was recovered. People on the river spotted an empty boat near the 275 bridge between Fort Thomas and California late Friday night. Crews have worked night and day on the recovery effort.

The victims are identified as 40 year old Jerome Colley, Jr. of Cincinnati and
49 year old Rudolph Crandall of New Richmond. Cause of death will be released after an autopsy.

For the victims' families search crews know how important a quick recovery is. Crews worked night and day to recover these two men. Just after 10:00 p.m. that second victim was finally brought to shore. Now his family will be notified. It's a search that's had its challenges but was also propelled forward by strong eyewitness accounts.
"The accounts from Kentucky shore and Ohio shore give us great location to search where the accident happened," says Andrew Hollenback with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
Some may have witnessed the accident, others saw the empty boat from the shore, and they have given investigators good information to work with.
"People, with modern day age GPS and technology on the boat will mark that stuff and call into us...really been helpful to us," says Hollenback.
This green buoy marked the general location where sonar equipment picked up the second victim. But making the recovery in these murky waters even with a dive team, isn't easy.
"When we send down a diver they're not always sure they're looking east or west. They can get disoriented and get off the pattern we were hoping for," says Hollenback.
The big question surrounding this double drowning is simple what happened? What made the men go overboard?
"Like with anything rumors start flying, we'll still investigate that...right now though, it's a one vessel accident," Hollenback says.
So, how do investigators fill in the blanks? With those very important eyewitness accounts and by going back to accident scene.
"Even when people left a boat, still evidence on the boat..we see what that tells us...put the two together and see what we come up with," says Hollenback.
The boat has been impounded. Investigators will check it out to see if anything on the boat may have contributed to the accident. Investigators say life preservers were available on the boat but neither victim was wearing one.
VIDEO: http://www.local12.com/mediacenter/l...com&navCatId=5
Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 AM
Registered

Personaly I've always avoided the Lanyaed/Vest topics but this one rattled my cage a bit.
I think about how many times I go to Claudios and have no vest on nor do my passengers and this thread made me think hard about ending up in the drink with no vests,
as far as a Lanyard is concerned my boat doesnt have one but after reading this its coming!
Bottom line there is always the chance that these two men might still have been killed by the accident but a vest and lanyard would drop them odds considerably.
My buddy is putting the engine back in my boat this week and I'm having him install a lanyard also period!
As Chris hinted to, my daughter and family dont deserve to stand over my casket and grieve for a mistake that could have been prevented.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Registered

My condolences go out to all involved with this and or any accident.

All Accidents can be prevented. Just stay home and hide in the basement. But that isn't much fun. Alot of the thrill comes from taking the risk. It then comes to be a calculation of how much fun vs. how much risk. This sport isn't for everyone and neither is motorcycling or car racing. There are those of us who believe we have the skills and knowledge to get away with it. And sometimes we are abruptly reminded how fragile or close to the edge we are.
It is a continual evolution with forward and backward steps. Nascar is much safer now then it was in the 50's & 60's.

Guess my point is, accidents happen and we need to learn what we can from them and then teach others how to increase their odds of survival. And that for the most part DOES happen on this site. A year ago there was another lanyard thread, and reading those posts have influenced me to always put it on. I also tell everyone I know who doesn't visit this site to use it. Just to let some of you know that there is positve reactions to these discussions.
So let me say this process does work. However on this site I think there is a little preaching to the Choir going on as there is rarely any argument.

Next how do we get to the people who don't visit to use them?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good point made there.

How do we get more people to - fit lanyards to boats that donīt have them - and - get people to use them who forget to - or just think it is uncool, or irritating to be tied to their dash with fiddly little clasp on a messy piece coiled up plastic rope ?

Cīmon Livorsi, Eddiemarine, Rex and the rest of you suppliers of cool jewelry for powerboat junkies - make a good quality, race style, functional lanyard. Use a coily line that doesnīt tangle so easily.
This has got to be a good product idea.

Actually the one supplied with my Mercury Racing installation kit is really good (made of some sore of fabric coated plastic)...but, what wasnīt so good was the little plastic clasp on the end of it. I found a really nice 2 1/2" billet aluminum clasp (carabiner?) that was sold as a key ring novelty in a camping store. It is much easier to use, hooks in and out real smooth. Fitted an eye on the dash where it rests when not in use, and if I should forget to hook the lanyard on, I hear the irritating sound of the aluminum against the dash to remind me.

Looping a lanyard around your arm is pretty inconvenient, and probably even dangerous...and hooking into you shorts isnīt too clever either. Another good reason to wear a lifevest, PFD or whatever will hold your head above water should you become unconsciuos (which is pretty likely if you hit anything on the boat on your way out, or hitting the water, with your head, which usely is up front, when you fly!).

I have a stainless loop fitted on all six automatic lifevests on my boat (any one can end up at the wheel, and it should be easy and obvious where to hook into).

Finally, this year I hung a SPARE lanyard onto the bolster leg nearest to the switch.....in case the other one is in the water attached to the driver!

Lanyards make pretty useless theft deterents, anyway!

Preaching done!
Old 06-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Good points wildcard but one of the reasons for looping to the wrist is so the you become aware of it. This point was brought up by Brad S with Tres' driving school. I have always worn mine on my wrist and it becomes much like a seatbelt in the fact that you are aware of when you are not wearing it. When i get in any of my boats the first thing i put on is the lanyard and is almost a subconscious action any more. It amazes me how many people still dont use them though.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Quick Reply: OHIO River Accident??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.