Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Any Charlotte or Lake Normen OSO members.... >

Any Charlotte or Lake Normen OSO members....

Notices

Any Charlotte or Lake Normen OSO members....

Old 02-24-2002, 09:55 AM
st

Default Any Charlotte or Lake Normen OSO members....

I'm moving to the Charlotte, NC area next month for a new job. I was thinking of living up in the Lake Normen area. Is there a hp limit? Where else is there to boat around Charlotte? How far is the Lake from the Charlotte airport (my workplace)? Any other places I should look at? What is the average rent price for a condo or nice apartment.
Thanks for the info.
SCT

Old 02-24-2002, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in Raleigh. Lake Norman is a great place. Plenty of high perf. boats as alot of the NASCAR people live on the lake. Lots of facilities( restraunts, fuel etc.) be prepared, living on the lake is high dollar!
Old 02-24-2002, 12:32 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCT,

I do not live on the lake, but have been boating on Norman for several years. It is a very nice lake.

From the airport you can be at the lake in about twenty minutes. Leaving the airport stay left and head to I-85. Take I-85 north a few miles and get on I-77 North. When you pass exit 28 you will see the lake on the left. Get off at exit 30 and turn left and you are at condo heaven. Exit 28 is the hot spot as for shopping, resturants etc. You can also go up to exit 36 Mooresville which is another hot spot.

I think you will find you can probably buy a condo as cheap as you can rent one. They start as low as $120,000 and go well over $300,000. I have seen some for rent but is seems they were close to $1000 per month. Go online to Lake Norman Condo and you will find some agents that specialize in just condo sales and rental. Property prices are very high there because it is so close to Charlotte and everyone wants to live there. You will find the commute to be bad during rush hours.

The lake is around 30 miles long, there are some good dry storages, four nice resturants, a couple of popular hang outs and all the ramps have been redone in the last two years and are the best you will find anywhere. The lake is fairly deep, usually you are in thirty to fourty foot of water, but you need to pay close attention to the markers especially the shoal markers. There are some shallow areas.

The south end of the lake gets ruff on weekends and holidays. You need a minimum of 25 to 27 foot boat to enjoy it. Bigger is always better.

There are some other members on here. Dave "Vagrant Twins" and Mike Nichols the Black Thunder Dealer who can help you also.

I am without a boat for a couple of months. We have ordered a new one which should be in by May. I would be glad to show you around and help you get familiar with the area. We launch off exit 36 at Queens Landing. Very nice place with two resturants and a floating bar.

Give me a call at my office 704-881-0031 if I can be of help.

What kind of boat do you have? Look forward to seeing you on the water.

Mark

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 02-24-2002 at 12:36 PM.