Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Thoughts about Rinker??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/18837-thoughts-about-rinker.html)

MooseKnuckle 02-25-2002 10:00 AM

Thoughts about Rinker???

My friend who is into cruisers saw the 342 Rinker at Detroit Boat show and liked it a lot. The boat was VERY loaded, everthing for @ $130k. Similar sized Sea Ray much more expensive.

The only thing that I noticed was the power package. Seemed a little light. But other than that, is their anything wrong with the Rinker line of boats???? I didn't have much experience with Rinker, so I'm asking you fellow OSO'rs.

seanclong 02-25-2002 10:16 AM

I agree. I checked out their cruisers at the Chesapeake Boat Show (just looking -- no cruiser in the future) and Rinker does give you a lot for your $$$$. The price differential between Sea Ray and Rinker is pretty significant. One thing, however, I've noticed is that Sea Ray's tend to hold their values a little better on the used market. I don't know if that's due to a better product or just a better reputation and marketing. This is just my $.02 -- and take it as such. I have never owned either, nor do I know anyone who has owned either.

blown formula 02-25-2002 10:24 AM

I considered buying a Rinker once, until I mad a short "study" of how they hold up. Granted, this was a limited study in my area, but, the gelcoat did not seem to hold up well and faded badly after just a couple of years. It's possible, the owners never waxed or polished their boats, but this "indicator" seemed to be consistent with the 25 ft & up class. Maybe the "cruisers are better. Something to think about! God Luck !

Milord 02-25-2002 10:35 AM

I have some friends that own Rinker cruisers and love them. Lots of boat for the money. Seem to hold up well. I haven't noticed anything worse about their gel work than a SeaRay, Doral, any of the other cruisers.

I suspect the resale on a SeaRay would be better because they cost significantly more from the get go.

seanclong 02-25-2002 10:43 AM

Originally posted by Milord

I suspect the resale on a SeaRay would be better because they cost significantly more from the get go.

Milord -- You are, no doubt, correct in your suspicions. I should've been more clear in my statement. I meant Sea Rays hold their value a little better as a percentage of their original price.

Oh, yeah. I almost forgot. CONGRATULATIONS ON CANADIAN HOCKEY GOLD!!!! :D

bn 02-25-2002 11:35 AM

Have your friend check out the Maxums. A friend of mine has purchase 2 new ones in the last few years - a 30, then a 33. They seem to be well thought out in that they make great use of the space and the price is not too bad either.

Milord 02-25-2002 11:53 AM

seanclong, I thought that was what you meant. I just kind of clarified it.

Thanks for the congrats on behalf of Canada!:D

cuda 02-25-2002 12:10 PM

I have an older Rinker an 86 250 Viesta Vee. It is a well made boat, even after 16 years, it is pretty solid. The Rinker doesn't have as much fluff as a Sea Ray or the name recognition, but in my opinion, they are just as sturdy, if not more.

formula31 02-25-2002 12:13 PM

Another nice feature of the Rinker is they use no coring in their hulls, all glass. They may be one of the last manufactureres that doesnt build sponge boats. I dont own one but there are quite a few 30 footer in our marina and they seem to be quite nice. I have heard the manufacturer stands by thier product very well too. :)

stevebaretta 02-25-2002 12:13 PM

Two families I know each have a Rinker 270 and they love them . Lots of boat for the money and seem to perform well.
To me, the downside is that they don't offer other gel coat colors other thatn the off white. That's all I've ever seen on the cruisers.