Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BoatFreak28 needs some help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/188473-boatfreak28-needs-some-help.html)

Payton 06-08-2008 08:46 AM

BoatFreak28 needs some help

Mike is a farmer and lives South of Indy. They had 11.5" of rain in 6 hours Saturday morning. Before the rain the had several hundred acres of crops under water from previous wet weather. Now they and their nieghbors have thousands of acres under water. The crops can only handle 2 maybe 3 days under water before they die. A hot sunny day, 24 hours. Mudslides are unheard of in central Indiana, They have houses sliding down hillsides into streams. They have cattle being washed down streams and rivers. Some that make it to solid ground are seperated from their calves.
Flood waters are getting into filled grain bins.
There isn't a whole lot we can do from a distance except give him and others in the area. our Prayers, thoughts and moral support. When I talked to him, an hour ago he had a bunch of friends that were going to string some wire up to keep the cattle they could find, safe.

Thanks everybody
Mark

David Stotz 06-08-2008 08:53 AM

Farmers among a few others have all of my respect.
Dave

bouyhunter 06-08-2008 09:12 AM

Hopefully we'll get the dry hot weather they are predicting in this area.
They are calling for 90's and dry here for the next few days.
He's only about 120 miles from here - hope they get the same.
Probably gonna have a mess to clean up when it's all said and done.

slboatdrinks 06-08-2008 09:16 AM

Mike,

Thoughts and prayers are with you brother.

Steve

Payton 06-08-2008 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2583534)
Hopefully we'll get the dry hot weather they are predicting in this area.
They are calling for 90's and dry here for the next few days.
He's only about 120 miles from here - hope they get the same.
Probably gonna have a mess to clean up when it's all said and done.

In a way that will help. The trouble is 90 degrees will cook the corn and beans that are under water. and it's getting close to, too late to replant. I would imaging they have in exses of $1 million invested in this years crop and livestock. Now there will be very little income. You can only insure so much. It will take 5 years to recover from this year.

Magic Medicine 06-08-2008 10:07 AM

I drove through that area yesterday. All I all say is wow, they had alot of rain. Mike we will be thinking about you!

Charmed1 06-08-2008 02:23 PM

Thoughts and prayers from NC.

Sydwayz 06-08-2008 04:27 PM

Keep paddling Mike. You only have to go upstream for so long. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Mark (Payton is a farmer too), and everyone else.

AB From Windsor 06-08-2008 07:33 PM

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the farmers and everyone south of Indy. Hope that the farmers can recover from this devastating flooding. The weather seems to be unpredictable this year with all the Tornado's, rain and heat wave already.

ACTIVESHACK 06-08-2008 07:49 PM

Mike We hope everything comes out OK for you.