Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BoatFreak28 needs some help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/188473-boatfreak28-needs-some-help.html)

Payton 06-08-2008 08:46 AM

BoatFreak28 needs some help

Mike is a farmer and lives South of Indy. They had 11.5" of rain in 6 hours Saturday morning. Before the rain the had several hundred acres of crops under water from previous wet weather. Now they and their nieghbors have thousands of acres under water. The crops can only handle 2 maybe 3 days under water before they die. A hot sunny day, 24 hours. Mudslides are unheard of in central Indiana, They have houses sliding down hillsides into streams. They have cattle being washed down streams and rivers. Some that make it to solid ground are seperated from their calves.
Flood waters are getting into filled grain bins.
There isn't a whole lot we can do from a distance except give him and others in the area. our Prayers, thoughts and moral support. When I talked to him, an hour ago he had a bunch of friends that were going to string some wire up to keep the cattle they could find, safe.

Thanks everybody
Mark

David Stotz 06-08-2008 08:53 AM

Farmers among a few others have all of my respect.
Dave

bouyhunter 06-08-2008 09:12 AM

Hopefully we'll get the dry hot weather they are predicting in this area.
They are calling for 90's and dry here for the next few days.
He's only about 120 miles from here - hope they get the same.
Probably gonna have a mess to clean up when it's all said and done.

slboatdrinks 06-08-2008 09:16 AM

Mike,

Thoughts and prayers are with you brother.

Steve

Payton 06-08-2008 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2583534)
Hopefully we'll get the dry hot weather they are predicting in this area.
They are calling for 90's and dry here for the next few days.
He's only about 120 miles from here - hope they get the same.
Probably gonna have a mess to clean up when it's all said and done.

In a way that will help. The trouble is 90 degrees will cook the corn and beans that are under water. and it's getting close to, too late to replant. I would imaging they have in exses of $1 million invested in this years crop and livestock. Now there will be very little income. You can only insure so much. It will take 5 years to recover from this year.

Magic Medicine 06-08-2008 10:07 AM

I drove through that area yesterday. All I all say is wow, they had alot of rain. Mike we will be thinking about you!

Charmed1 06-08-2008 02:23 PM

Thoughts and prayers from NC.

Sydwayz 06-08-2008 04:27 PM

Keep paddling Mike. You only have to go upstream for so long. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Mark (Payton is a farmer too), and everyone else.

AB From Windsor 06-08-2008 07:33 PM

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the farmers and everyone south of Indy. Hope that the farmers can recover from this devastating flooding. The weather seems to be unpredictable this year with all the Tornado's, rain and heat wave already.

ACTIVESHACK 06-08-2008 07:49 PM

Mike We hope everything comes out OK for you.

harsin 06-08-2008 08:09 PM

Mike,

We were thinking about you when we heard about all the rain. We know you live in Southern Indiana and worried that you might be impacted. Then I saw the thread and it confirmed the worst. Know that you’re in our thoughts and prayers.

Morry and Lori

Jassman 06-09-2008 05:49 AM

our prayers are with you Mike and all the other Farmers effected....Dry weather is hopefully on the way. Jeff and Sandy

sommerfliesby 06-09-2008 05:56 AM

Our thoughts and hopes for some dry weather are with you guys! Tornado touched down about 5 miles east of me on Saturday...ran right thru Straight Jacket's hood.

boatfreak 06-09-2008 06:12 AM

Goodmorning everyone. I think Payton pretty well described what we are dealing with. We were able to get to the rest of our cows yesterday and it looks like we lost two cows and 14 calves to the flooded creek that runs through the farm. It also took out most of our fence so that's what we've been working on. We think we lost most of our crops but wont know for sure until this water goes away and we get out and see what we've got. As I sat here they just showed Martinsville Indiana on the CBS early show. I never wanted my home town to make the national news like this. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. All I can say is we are looking forward and we will make it. Thats all you can do.

slboatdrinks 06-09-2008 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by boatfreak (Post 2584247)
Goodmorning everyone. I think Payton pretty well described what we are dealing with. We were able to get to the rest of our cows yesterday and it looks like we lost two cows and 14 calves to the flooded creek that runs through the farm. It also took out most of our fence so that's what we've been working on. We think we lost most of our crops but wont know for sure until this water goes away and we get out and see what we've got. As I sat here they just showed Martinsville Indiana on the CBS early show. I never wanted my home town to make the national news like this. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. All I can say is we are looking forward and we will make it. Thats all you can do.

Glad to hear there's some good news in all you're dealing with.

Are thoughts and prayers are still with you Mike.

StraightJacket 06-09-2008 11:18 AM

Yeah it missed my house , I wasn't home and everyone was calling me to see if I was ok. Kinda wish it had , I wanna move anyhow, and that would make it easier.

I don't wish any bad doings on the farmers that bring us our staples of life , besides have you seen the size Of Payton

jonyb 06-09-2008 03:12 PM

Hate to hear that Mike. Hope everything makes a turn for the better for you. Good luck buddy!

R Addiction 06-09-2008 07:19 PM

Mike, You are in our thoughts and prayers.

f311fr1 06-09-2008 08:27 PM

Thoughts and prayers.

candyman35 06-09-2008 11:17 PM

Mike
Sorry to hear this:( We will keep you and your hometown in our thoughts & prayers.
Dan & Vicki

10x 06-10-2008 09:05 AM

Mike, sorry to hear this. Hope that the crop is not a total loss. We all feel terrible for all of you people that are getting washed out with all this rainfall. When's it all gonna end???

Ms PatriYacht 06-10-2008 10:50 AM

Mike so sorry to hear this you and your family must be exhausted. I know how hard you guys work, I hope some of crops can be saved and harvested. This might be a dumb question but can farmers get insurance on crops and livestock. So sad to watch the news, I saw the footage of the homes being washed away in the lake:(

Magic Medicine 06-10-2008 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht (Post 2585763)
Mike so sorry to hear this you and your family must be exhausted. I know how hard you guys work, I hope some of crops can be saved and harvested. This might be a dumb question but can farmers get insurance on crops and livestock. So sad to watch the news, I saw the footage of the homes being washed away in the lake:(

They sure can but insurance only covers so much of ones crop. I am sure Mike or Payton can confirm.

Sydwayz 06-10-2008 08:41 PM

As I understand it, Mike is being a little modest. Apparently the 37 AT was not far from floating out of the barn, and a classic car sustained damage as well.

We all really feel for you Mike. Please let us know what we can do to help. I'll take some time off and come out if you could use the labor.

Payton 06-10-2008 09:13 PM

There is crop insurance available. It is very expensive. Most insure for the most likely problem, like Hail . That can be had for under $10 per acre. Crop revenue insurance can run upwards of $60 per acre. If you multiply that by 2000-4000 acres,it really adds up. You have to insure all or none. You can't insure just the risky ground.

You mainly hope and pray that one of these years dosen't hit too often.

boatfreak 06-10-2008 09:43 PM

Hi guys. Well we are starting to make progress on the clean up but it's going to take a long time to really get over this mess. There is a railroad that runs about 15 miles along here that actually caused a fair amount of my damage because the water couldn't get under the thing so it filled up everything on this side of it and then washed out the biggest part of it too.

Thanks again for the support

P.S. the old Chevelle is just fine.:cool:

mama tryed 06-11-2008 04:46 AM

Glad to hear that your OK too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thunderstruck 06-11-2008 05:15 AM

Good to hear that you are OK. I was looking for you in the AT forum. Good luck with everything and we're thinking about you guys.

Jassman 06-11-2008 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by boatfreak (Post 2586511)
Hi guys. Well we are starting to make progress on the clean up but it's going to take a long time to really get over this mess. There is a railroad that runs about 15 miles along here that actually caused a fair amount of my damage because the water couldn't get under the thing so it filled up everything on this side of it and then washed out the biggest part of it too.

Thanks again for the support

P.S. the old Chevelle is just fine.:cool:

No problem..we all were praying for you as well as all farmers in need of help. Good Luck Mike. Talk to ya soon. Jeff and Sandy

Macklin 06-11-2008 06:32 AM

Good luck to you and your crops.

The nightly news showed some of those houses get totally washed off their foundations. OMG, looks like something a hurricane would do to an oceanfront house. Incredible!

PatriYacht 06-11-2008 07:21 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this. Good luck Mike, hope it all works out.

Ian and Donna