Lake Delton Wis - GONE - Dam broke!!! >

Lake Delton Wis - GONE - Dam broke!!!

Notices

Lake Delton Wis - GONE - Dam broke!!!

Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lake Delton Wis - GONE - Dam broke!!!

Just saw on CBS news. They say it is now a giant mud flat! Anyone boat there?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.tampabay.com/news/weather/article615085.ece

LAKE DELTON, Wis. — An embankment along a man-made lake gave way under severe flooding Monday, unleashing a powerful current that ripped several homes off their foundations and down the Wisconsin River.

Floodwater threatened dams across the Midwest, and military crews joined desperate sandbagging operations to hold back Indiana streams surging toward record levels. Stormy weekend weather was blamed for 10 deaths, most in the Midwest.

While the Midwest struggled with flooding, the East was locked in a sauna. Heat advisories were posted Monday from the Carolinas to Connecticut, with temperatures topping 100 from Georgia to Virginia. New York City recorded a high of 99.

In Wisconsin, an embankment forming the side of the man-made Lake Delton failed, and the water poured out into the nearby Wisconsin River. The 245-acre lake nearly emptied, washing out part of a highway, sweeping away three homes and tearing apart two others.

"It's horrible. There's no way we could stop it," said Thomas Diehl, a Lake Delton village trustee. "The breach is between 300 and 400 feet wide. The volume (of water) was just so great there wasn't anything anyone could do."

A new storm system was headed toward the Ohio Valley from the southern Plains on Monday — Oklahoma got up to 6 inches of rain by late morning and utilities reported nearly 5,000 customers blacked out — and the National Weather Service said as much as 3 inches of rain could fall on already waterlogged Indiana late Monday.

The weather service posted a tornado warning for south-central Illinois and a severe thunderstorm warning for Indiana.

By Monday morning, flooding at eight sites in central and southern Indiana had eclipsed levels set in the deluge of March 1913, which had been considered Indiana's greatest flood in modern times, said Scott Morlock, a hydrologist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Indiana.

President Bush late Sunday declared a major disaster in 29 Indiana counties. Iowa Gov. Chet Culver said nearly a third of his state's 99 counties need federal help. Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle had declared 30 counties in a state of emergency.

Along the East Coast, people sweltered through the heat wave.

In the fifth inning of the Kansas City Royals-Yankees game in New York, fans cheered loudly when a cloud moved in front of the sun, then booed moments later when the sun returned.

"We came to New York and the whole week is hotter than in Florida," Patti Yost, 47, of Spring Hill said at Yankee Stadium.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

More local news:
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&cl...num=4&ct=title
Old 06-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Banned

Seen that on the news also , Dayum some badd chit down there
Old 06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to go there a few times during the summers, when I lived in Rockford and NW Subs of Chicago. It's a shame. It was a fun skiing lake. Not enoough for big boats, but I had a blast. I even did some slalom skiing for the TB show, when I was part of the Rock River Ski Bronks. The good ole days.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
I used to go there a few times during the summers, when I lived in Rockford and NW Subs of Chicago. It's a shame. It was a fun skiing lake. Not enoough for big boats, but I had a blast. I even did some slalom skiing for the TB show, when I was part of the Rock River Ski Bronks. The good ole days.
I knew a girl on the Bronks ski team, her name was dawn she was 4'11"...her parents owned a slaughter house in Rockford...I met her in 1986...small world if you know her.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nope... no Dawn during my years. Late 70's early 80's
By 86 I was way out of Rockford and the team.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

That makes three of us affiliated with the rockford Ski Broncs. I was a member from 1981 through 1992. I think I remember two Dawns, one short and one tall.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Lake Delton is on the left, Wisconsin river on the right. The dam on the lake is shown in the lower left corner.

The lake flooded so bad that it breached the road separating the lake from the river. The lake was 40' higher than the river at the time. The area is mostly sand and the flooded lake soaked the land and washed it away. 600 million gallons of water flowed into the river within 1/2hour. Just amazing what mother nature can do.
Attached Thumbnails Lake Delton Wis - GONE - Dam broke!!!-23064_large.jpg  
Old 06-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 364 Likes on 209 Posts

I couldnt believe it. I havnt mad it up that way yet but, what a shame.
Jr.

Quick Reply: Lake Delton Wis - GONE - Dam broke!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.