Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!! >

Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!!

Notices

Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

For some reason the boating industry attracts an inordinate number of scumbags, creeps, slimeballs, con artists, and scuzzy people. You shouldn't have to buy big name, and, that has its own set of problems. What this site needs is a "Rate Your Vendor" section, similar to what Tire Rack has. You rate the vendor, and give reasons for your opinion of their service. It might save people a lot of grief.

Michael
Old 06-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes its the obvious things not to do that gets me, i had my motors pulled for the third time for oil leaks by a local high perf merc dealer and the price keeps going up when it wasnt fixed right the first time, the last time they charged me 3 times the amount of the first bill and because i quess i was a pain in the ass to them they let my boat sit out in the yard with the nose as low as it could get threw the afternoon rainy season here and didnt bother to put the cover on. i came to look at my boat and the sponsons had 2 feet of water in them.. plus they did a few more crappy things to me
Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
For some reason the boating industry attracts an inordinate number of scumbags, creeps, slimeballs, con artists, and scuzzy people. You shouldn't have to buy big name, and, that has its own set of problems.
Michael

HA!!...IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY MAN!!!---AND YOU DON'T MATTER! I have witnessed it over and over here on OSO since I originally became a member in 1999. I watched it happen to others and then it happened to me by some really smooth talking cons---and I mean these guys were GOOD at conning people! He befriended me and I just didn't think he/they would go that low---but he did! I ended up having to go rescue my engines down in Charlotte, NC a few years ago after the all the BS excuses from one thing to another---and all the lies and deception that went along with it!

No build/labor sheets were provided....no dyno sheets and no reciepts----but they sure got my money. I almost thought there wasn't going to be anything to pick up! The guy wouldn't even meet me face to face! He thought I was just going to take the engines home and put them in the boat, but I had Dave Wesseldyk disassemble them---and the things we found were absolutely rediculas. I had to have everything totally remachined and It cost me THOUSANDS!!! I do not see how some of these guys can look themselves in the mirror or even sleep at night!

One day Jugement Day is going to come and hell is coming with it! It's time to repent from your sins and turn your heart to Christ!

Last edited by KAAMA; 06-11-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
HA!!...IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY MAN!!!---AND YOU DON'T MATTER! I have witnessed it over and over here on OSO since I originally became a member in 1999. I watched it happen to others and then it happened to me by some really smooth talking cons---and I mean these guys were GOOD at conning people! He befriended me and I just didn't think he/they would go that low---but he did! I ended up having to go rescue my engines down in Charlotte, NC a few years ago after the all the BS excuses from one thing to another---and all the lies and deception that went along with it!

No build/labor sheets were provided....no dyno sheets and no reciepts----but they sure got my money. I almost thought there wasn't going to be anything to pick up! The guy wouldn't even meet me face to face! He thought I was just going to take the engines home and put them in the boat, but I had Dave Wesseldyk disassemble them---and the things we found were absolutely rediculas. I had to have everything totally remachined and It cost me THOUSANDS!!! I do not see how some of these guys can look themselves in the mirror or even sleep at night!

One day Jugement Day is going to come and hell is coming with it! It's time to repent from your sins and turn your heart to Christ!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK...........
Old 06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=KAAMA;2587795][B]

Its a small world lets just hope they sleep with 1 eye open Even the one in St Charles
[U]One day Jugement Day is going to come
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM
ak
Registered

I too just got tooken for alot of money(to me anyways)for an engine that was just freshened and built by a guy that works for a very big marine company,put it in the boat,fired it up,ran it at the lake anf head gasket popped,tore it apart to fix and found the engine to be junk and had to rebilud and buy pretty much everything again,worse part is,i found it on the oso classifieds and the guy seemed like a great guy,but when things go wrong,well "I DONT HAVE ANY MONEY BUT I TOOK YOURS FOR A PILE OF USED AND WORN OUT ENGINE PARTS"he says.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's why I do everything myself. (Everything but body work) Chit gets done fastest that way and I know it's done right with no corners cut.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
That's why I do everything myself. (Everything but body work) Chit gets done fastest that way and I know it's done right with no corners cut.
Fixing cars for a living I have learned one thing- stick to what you know. I tried fixing my 31' Scarabs engines about 6 years ago- one motor (starboard)developed a misfire and it turned out I had 9 broken valve springs ! The motors supposedly only had about 40 hrs on them so I removed the heads and had them rebuilt. I put it back together and then lost oil pressure after one lap around Elsinore, bottom end-gone. Removed and rebuilt that motor and it never ran quite right. 4 hrs later it melted 6 pistons. Gave up and ended up buying a pair of low hour (70) mag 502s' from list member Mikayla Hunter and never had another problem again for the next 3 years until I sold it.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Me too. Sorry to hear about your missfortune Michael. I hear it all the time here in Las Vegas and have decided to open my own shop. I will be up and running by fall and it will be a zero tolerance kinda shop. Not cheap, just good and as promised 100% of the time. Las Vegas is full of mechanics that didn't even finish high school and charge you redicolously low rates, while they brag and lie straight in your face. I already have some customers that won't let anybody else touch their boats, and they have been steady for the last 7 years. Like mentioned before, this hobby ain't cheap and the best way to make it more expensive is to go to a crappy mechanic full of words and no action. I really like that rating idea someone suggested to make here on OSO...
Old 06-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Registered

Sorry to here of your problem. I learned along time ago!
If you want it done right, do it yourself. At least if you screw it up you will still have enough left over to do it right, the second time!

Quick Reply: Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.