Like Tree0Likes

Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Registered

My Boats: 22 Talon 300 XS,97 Ocean Express 33 Super Sport/ 04 STV Euro / 30 ft Pro Line sport fishermen-21 Shadow 300 XS-24 ft Party Barge

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 Fountain View Post
That's why I do everything myself. (Everything but body work) Chit gets done fastest that way and I know it's done right with no corners cut.
if i didnt need a fork lift and be a contortionist in bige diving to do my own i would be doing it myself.. theres something said for outboards
Old 06-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Registered

My Boats: Dreaming of a 32 AT

I have said it before and I believe that in the marine industry in genaral there is no accountability. They get your money and move on to the next mark. Even with Merc for us guys in the great white north one yr warr, don't mean chit when we can only run them at the most 4 months so what good is it. Mfg. hull? ya right. I have a friend that says they are as worthless as a paper napkin, just try to get something done and see what you have to go through. Its the whole industry just sucks. Sorry for my rant I am just disapointed and fed up with it all. And yes we need a rateing system. Great idea.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Registered

My Boats: 38' Scarab P-38

I belong to a few different web groups and one group, (rx7 club I think), has a section just for pos. and neg. feedback for vendors. That way if somebody who is just pissed off can be countered by positive feedback for that vendor by other members. Just a thought for the power that be in OSO central ??? Mike
Old 06-12-2008, 03:58 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Formula 272 Sold, 26 Infinity, 4 sale, 08-33' Avanti 4SALE

Michael.. Just vent away.. I will start venting in a few dyas to.. My boat toook for ever to get done,,, Dennis Fredmann screwed me roayaly,, Cobra screwed me royaly,, I went through something similar BS, but the boat is done,, runing great and now I just want to play it, with fix some of the things myself.. and forget about the BS.
I will post a good guys, bad guys thread next week and vent myself..
Happier days are coming..
Old 06-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Registered

My Boats: Formula FASTech 382 Sunseeker Apache 45

Why not mention the shops name? Who gives a crap if they are an OSO advertiser!! Don't you think that OSO can handle that? SPILL IT!!!!!!!!!!! Too many people get burned if nothing is mentioned!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1997 380Powerquest Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
Why not mention the shops name? Who gives a crap if they are an OSO advertiser!! Don't you think that OSO can handle that? SPILL IT!!!!!!!!!!! Too many people get burned if nothing is mentioned!
I agree why be politically correct and tip toe around the problem? Expose the problems!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:33 AM

My Boats: Beat up ole Sleekcraft
The three point problem!

It's the old 3 point problem.
The three points are:
1. A perfectly done job.
2. A quickly done job.
3. A job done at a minimum cost.

The thing that customers can't get through their head is YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE 2 OF THE POINTS!!!

If your get a job done perfect and quick...... You better be sitting down when you get the bill!

If you get a job done perfect and at a minimum cost...... Be expecting a long wait.

If you get a job done quick and at minimum cost......... Don't be surprised when it turns to crap first time on the water.

This is the new millennium. Everybody has email. If I had a customer's engine in my shop for 6 weeks he would have 30 emails in his inbox. At the end of every working day all of my ongoing jobs get an email with pics. Even if I didn't do anything on that job the customer gets an email explaining why. People are constantly looking for a "good deal" on OSO. They let price be the deciding factor and then whine when stuff breaks or takes forever to get done. I should start a thread on customers that don't pay their bills when the job is done. Or the ones that are whining daily that the job isn't done but are too cheap to authorize overnight shipping for the parts.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

I have noticed that the boat repair guys/shops that brag and promote themselves the most are usually the worst. The goods ones (which are few and far between) you have to hear about from word of mouth. They build a reputation over many years, and they are not cheap. Especially here in S. Fl, Marine service shops pop up by the dozens with little real experience in the business. Just being an avid boater doesn't always equate to being a success in the service end.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered

My Boats: '94 29' powerquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
One variable that we always have to keep in mind is, that when some certain kinds of work is done the owner may have the decision to use a few different ranges of parts. When the owner says I would like to use this spark plug that is $1.99 instead of that plug that is $5.99. Yeah they both just make a spark, But when you really depend on it and it fails alot sooner than the more expensive one, Thats when some of the bad mouthing could occur, And it was the customer that wanted that part!! If your shop recommends a certain part that might be twice the money it is for a very good reason. Owners need to know when to down grade a shop,(and I think everyone should!) When it is necessary to do so!!!
Old 06-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Registered

My Boats: 38' Scarab P-38

First off- its Dereberry Performance, secondly, I have owned and operated my own auto shop for 15 years and know it is easier to do ithings right than do them over. I originally delt with Matt Bedoe there. I told him that I needed two motors, he said no problem I have one(advertised in OSO classifieds at the time) and a line on a second motor. I said I wanted both motors built from the ground up blowers and everything and matched ,he said no problem 4 weeks. I didn't push for lower price, faster time or anything. I didn't even call for 3 weeks and then just to get an update. It got pushed to 5 weeks then 8 then was told one blower core is bad and did I want the motors sent out to me and I deal with it on my end. I said I wanted 2 turn key matched motors and wasn't too concerned with how much or how long, i'll pay the extra 400-500 . 11-12 weeks later they arrive at my installer. Vacuum hoses to the maps not routed the same, different IAC valve arrangement, one stalls. and like I said one burns oil... Now ,lately, I have been dealing with Leon (I guess Matt left the company), and he is as cordial as hell (must be an anywhere but So. Cal. thing) and seems to be knowledgable . But it seems that he has just trying to jerk me around and I am tired of it. So now I am going to watch oil level like a hawk (oil pressure is good and no engine noises) and deal with it in the winter, which means I have to pay to do it partially or completly over again. Mike