Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!! >

Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!!

Notices

Tired of crappy service from boat shops!!!!

Old 06-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 29Firefox
It's the old 3 point problem.
The three points are:
1. A perfectly done job.
2. A quickly done job.
3. A job done at a minimum cost.

The thing that customers can't get through their head is YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE 2 OF THE POINTS!!!

If your get a job done perfect and quick...... You better be sitting down when you get the bill!

If you get a job done perfect and at a minimum cost...... Be expecting a long wait.

If you get a job done quick and at minimum cost......... Don't be surprised when it turns to crap first time on the water.

This is the new millennium. Everybody has email. If I had a customer's engine in my shop for 6 weeks he would have 30 emails in his inbox. At the end of every working day all of my ongoing jobs get an email with pics. Even if I didn't do anything on that job the customer gets an email explaining why. People are constantly looking for a "good deal" on OSO. They let price be the deciding factor and then whine when stuff breaks or takes forever to get done. I should start a thread on customers that don't pay their bills when the job is done. Or the ones that are whining daily that the job isn't done but are too cheap to authorize overnight shipping for the parts.
What's the name of your shop?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Waterdogs
What's the name of your shop?
PM me for contact info info
Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

So here's the update on my boat engine. I took it to Havasu over the 4th and the port motor wouldnt pull over 4200 rpm. I'm pissed , don't know if it is a missfire or what. So I called Aaron over at Absolute Marine. He kindly sent over his tech to Windsor launch ramp to pull codes and give it a once over. No codes and everything looks fine, he didn't even charge me. I ended up babying the boat around for a few days and was going to bring it home to be fixed. But I decided to just have Absolute check it out instead. Well they found out why it was losing power and using oil. When Derberry built the port motor last summer they left out the splash tray under the intake out. That explains the oil burning and the 2 fouled spark plugs that caused my misfire and loss of power. Question is, the motors only had a 90 day warranty (technically over in November even though I only have about 7 hours on them) but something like this in not a defect it is negligence. I think that Leon and Derberry should absorb some the repair cost? I'll respond back tomorrow after I call him with an update. Mike
Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Registered

I think they should help ya out on that one too, but Ive learned that when I make a mistake,... I pay. Ive also learned that if im dealing with you, and you make a mistake... I pay. The joys of owning a body shop and car lot, and powerboating on the weekends
Old 07-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Registered

Hey Mike,
Hope this turns out good for you so you can get back on the water soon.
Aaron and crew will take care of you but it would be nice to not have foot for the entire rebuild....twice...
Old 07-26-2008, 05:45 AM

Only 7 hours? Dude should cover the whole bill. But the builder still could tell you to bugger off because you sent it somewhere else without giving him the chance to make it right first. I see both sides of the argument. But it would still be good business sense for him to pick up the whole tab just to avoid bad press and make himself look like a responsible businessman. On the technical side burning oil + fouling plugs? I would pull the valve covers and eyeball the valve seals.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Garibay
So here's the update on my boat engine. I took it to Havasu over the 4th and the port motor wouldnt pull over 4200 rpm. I'm pissed , don't know if it is a missfire or what. So I called Aaron over at Absolute Marine. He kindly sent over his tech to Windsor launch ramp to pull codes and give it a once over. No codes and everything looks fine, he didn't even charge me. I ended up babying the boat around for a few days and was going to bring it home to be fixed. But I decided to just have Absolute check it out instead. Well they found out why it was losing power and using oil. When Derberry built the port motor last summer they left out the splash tray under the intake out. That explains the oil burning and the 2 fouled spark plugs that caused my misfire and loss of power. Question is, the motors only had a 90 day warranty (technically over in November even though I only have about 7 hours on them) but something like this in not a defect it is negligence. I think that Leon and Derberry should absorb some the repair cost? I'll respond back tomorrow after I call him with an update. Mike
My opinion, a reputable builder will not only cover that repair one way or another, they will also tell you what needs to be checked due to the tray being left out and will cover that.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure splash tray under intake would cause it to burn oil, unless the tray somehow seals the intake ports. Never seen that. It seems that if these jokers can string you along long enough, you finally get tired of it and just eat it yourself. Went threw the same thing with an interior shop last year.

Last edited by tbanzer; 07-26-2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add word
Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Not sure splash tray under intake would cause it to burn oil, unless the tray somehow seals the intake ports. Never seen that. It seems that if these jokers can string you along long enough, you finally get tired of it and just eat it yourself. Went threw the same thing with an interior shop last year.
Apparently the camshaft can splash oil up into the PCV hose (that is located in the intake on a 575 not the valve cover like most motors) , the splash shield is there to prevent this from happening.Mike