My buddy's friend has an Outboard Problem >

My buddy's friend has an Outboard Problem

Notices

My buddy's friend has an Outboard Problem

Old 02-26-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My buddy's friend has an Outboard Problem

My buddy's friend is having problems removing the powerhead off the lower unit. It is a salt water boat.
It is a 1992 mercury 200 offshore series, 2.5 liter v6 (i think it's called a 200xl). There are 10 stainless steel studs that are either cast or threaded into the block that extend down through the lower unit and are secured by nuts. Once the nuts are removed, the powerhead lifts off, BUT, the studs go through a good bit of aluminum (2 of them are prob 10 inches long) and the salt corrosion has worked its way around the studs and are keeping the thing from coming off.
Any advise would greatly be appreciated. I know this is not the correct place to post but need help quickly, Mike. I will post in O/B also.
You can send him an email at [email protected]
Old 02-26-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

Mike there is no easy way, One way is to heat the mid section to expand the metal and loosen the crap that is built up around the studs, it can also get stuck on the top of the prop shaft, so I recommand removing the lower unit that will eliminate that possiblity. If the lower comes off then you know its the bolts, also buy yourself some putty knifes and begin trying to drive then in between the adapter plate and power head. be careful not to damage the surface area ,lots of heat and shaking, put upward pressure on the powerhead and rock till your arms hurt, good luck!!!!!!

If you use heat you need a torch of some sort, a propane tank won't get it hot enough, please be careful with heat cause you can do damage if your not careful!!!!!!!!

When you do get it off , make sure your friend uses some kind of anti seize lub on the threads and grease the top of the prop shaft, again good luck!

Last edited by skatermike24; 02-26-2002 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:31 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike covered it good. If the power head lifts at all then stops or you can rock it then you are hung on the drive shaft. The best way unfortunatly to take care of this is to drill a hole in the side of the midestions and get a air hammer to rattle the shaft while you lift. Then you plug up the hole. You should get two torches if you can one for each side and keep them moving so that you do not damage the alluminum. The alluminum cools so fast that you will likely need two torches however. I have had it take me all day to get a power head off from time to time so have patience.

Jon
Old 02-26-2002, 11:51 AM
Registered

Not being a saltwater guy, I don't know how bad the corrosion gets, but aren't there some type of solvents that dissolve corrosion, rust, ect.. out there?? I'll leave it to the saltwater guys to say what works, but lime away or something?? My 88 2.4 bridgeports have come apart fine, as soon as the bolts are loosened but, fresh water is all they have ever seen. any suggestions of solvents from any saltwater guys??