Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the deal with Sea Tow? Jerks! >

What is the deal with Sea Tow? Jerks!

Notices

What is the deal with Sea Tow? Jerks!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is the deal with Sea Tow? Jerks!

Yesterday when the Lamborghini of Miami boat flipped and the guys were safely out of the boat (thank God!) Sea Tow was dispatched to the boat. The crew waited at the crane for over 3 hours for Sea Tow to bring the boat in so it could be pulled from the water, the engines and drives could be pickled and other preservation methods could take place but the boat never arrived. Several guys got into another boat and went searching for the boat. Sea tow brought the boat the opposite direction of the crane, dragged it behind a small island to hide it. The were trying to claim salvage rights and seize the boat. After a long argument sea tow headed to the crane. They then demanded payment of $8000 and would not release the boat until it was paid. Apparently a small scuffle broke out and than the owner of the boat handed over his Amex to get his boat back. The boat ended up sitting in the water over 5 hours longer than needed.
This is the same crap they did to How Sweet it is, a few years ago in Fort Lauderdale.
My question is, if it's a permitted race, where seaTow is contracted How can they claim salvage?! I think these guys are crooks and we should all boycott them and use on Boat US. I think taking advantage of racers at a time like this is disgusting! I hope the owner disputes his Credit card!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is disgraceful. I am a long time boat-us member with unlimited towing.

Someone needs to shove a lawsuit a long way up their azz

Last edited by Wobble; 06-23-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Registered

Major rip off. I will not ever call them. Fortunately I boat on a lake and there is always someone willing to give a tow....

If I recall correctly there was a member on here that said they called Seatow to be pulled off a sand bar and sea tow called it a salvage because they had to get out of the boat to bring them the tow line.

Last edited by BY U BOY; 06-23-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Racer
Racer

I would dispute the card and sue him for additional damage to the boat. I would own that company when I got done with him or I'd go broke trying.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Not alot of tow boats where I boat and would hate to ever call one. I've towed a number of boats in over the years (usually 2 a summer) and will not accept payment from them. I do stress that they are now in-debted to tow SOMEONE ELSE in next time they have the opportunity.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like typical sea tow bull$hit. A friend of mine flipped a boat in the long island sound and sea tow gave him the wrong coordinates. Boat was never found even after scanning with side scanning sonar for 3 days! Bunch of Crooks!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

before you let any towing company put a line on your boat...MAKE SURE YOU AND THEM AGREE IT IS NOT A SALVAGE TOW !!!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Registered

IMO, BoatUS is much better to deal with.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

My trailer just broke last night in Miami on the way to the Keys.

Basically, the boat was stranded in a parking lot on SW 88th St...

No problem, I have Sea Tow with the optional trailer coverage. We get patched through to their preferred wrecker service... He charges $185 just to show up. $4 per mile after that and has no idea where to take the boat and trailer except his yard. If he takes it to his yard it will be locked up for the night, but them I have to foot the bill for the entire tow tomorrow.

So, Sea Tow covers $150 of trailer problems. Their preferred guy charges $185 right off and they have no idea who to take it to.

This is my last year with Sea Tow.

Thanks to help from a guy on Donzi.Net (MadPoodle over there) and my brother I have hope to get the boat to a safe place tonight.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

They did the same thing in Daytona with Bobby Fishers boat and did it at the Miami race a few years back with the Aqua Toy Store Cigarette. They wait around the racecourse like Vultures waiting for some one to crash so they can claim the boat.
The racing associations need to have a boat designated to tow in case this happens. Richard should defiantly dispute the charges on the card!
Glad they are ok though!

Quick Reply: What is the deal with Sea Tow? Jerks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.