Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
You guys want boat topic, okay...How's this?? >

You guys want boat topic, okay...How's this??

Notices

You guys want boat topic, okay...How's this??

Old 02-26-2002, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 3,017 Likes on 987 Posts
Default You guys want boat topic, okay...How's this??

Just my effort to get things back to boating topic, not to mention this is very interesting and I have never seen it done before.

A good friend of mine has a 97 38 Scarab with twin teague 800's. The 800's were installed after one of his 525's blew a piston out the side...OUCH ....So he had teague put the 800's in and ran upgraded broavo's. Now as you all know bravos suck balls for anything over 500 HP. He blew about 12 drives (no lie) put the XR gears into them the imco gears, tried everything on the market for bravos, they just wouldnt hold up, and he is not hard on the drives what so ever...Very mellow on the sticks. He got completely sick of bravos and decided to step up to Speed master #3's.

Now here comes the interesting part. He didn't want to go through all of the trouble of moving the motors for the transmissions and all of that so He decided he was going to have "extension boxes" built. He took two HUUUUGE pieces of billet blocks and had another friend of mine forge out the boxes. He left the stock bravo cut out's in the transom and ran the tranmissions through the bravo cut-outs and these boxes. Hooked up the #3's right to the boxes and off he went. The only mod that had to be made was he had to put along the bottom of the transom a 10-12" plate off the back to keep the big ass rooster tail that was shooting up down!

Everyone he talked to before doing this said it couldn't be done and it wouldn't work....WRONG!! This boat rides sooooo nice and just sticks to the water. It is a wonderful thing! I don't see why this technique has never been done. It saves all the room in the engine compartment from having to move the motors forward, plus you don't have to open up the transom more.

moral of story, don't always listen to people who think they know everything just because it hasn't been done before. I'll try to get some pics of it for the board.

Tank
Old 02-26-2002, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tank, that's pretty wild. I'd love to see pics. Did you post this before, I could swear I read it hear before. If not, then it's that damn deja-vu.
Old 02-26-2002, 03:59 PM
Registered

Yea, I was telling someone else about it on a different thread a loooong time ago. I suggested someone try this set up
Old 02-26-2002, 04:08 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default DAVID w/24'Offshore

DAVID, Does this sound like the same scenario I was recommending to you??? Don't cut that boat just yet. You may have something here!!!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-26-2002, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You GOTTA post some pics of that!!!!
Old 02-26-2002, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

We did something kind of similar with a single engine. 30' checkmate with a dry sump#6. Had a 12" extension box made and put the tranny in the box and mounted the motor in the stock bravo location. Puts the prop about 50" behind the transom.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:14 PM
Registered

Check, exatctly! the boxes basically act as stand off boxes as well as housing for the trannies. With this scarab though it has the shortened #3 lower ends on it so the props dont sit down to far. I have some photos on disk at home. I would need someone to post them for me since I have no clue what so ever how to re-adjust the size of the photo. And it would have to be tonight sinse I am not at home right now.

Tank
Old 02-26-2002, 04:14 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds like some great engineering. I was talking with Shane about my boat and that I was scared that I was going to blow the outdrive this season. he suggested to install a TRS drive. The problem I have with that is that there is no room for a transmission. Hearing about this just solved that problem. And the extension boxes will look awesome. But truthfully I hope I don't have to do it.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:19 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

hey jeffrey or BCC- isn't Ruckus set up similar to this? for some reason i was thinking that you didn't move the motors when you went to the #6's.

perhaps i'm confused?

chad
Old 02-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Registered

Hey Hot boat if you seriously want to do this I can give you my friends number. He did all the work himself and wouldnt mind talking to you about it. Email me if you are interested. OH but one thing....this **** wasn't cheap!! Even though my friend forged the billet boxes, it took a week to make up the program to do it and it took 2 days of actual man power to actually forge them.

JBK, you just think that because you can throw a party in the engine compartment of a cig! It doesn't look that bad after you push themotors up!

Tank

Quick Reply: You guys want boat topic, okay...How's this??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.