Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Don Aronow Race ..Thank You >

Don Aronow Race ..Thank You

Notices

Don Aronow Race ..Thank You

Old 06-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 216 Likes on 87 Posts

As you know....we are not experts in race organizations...we just wanted to do this very badly...and we made some mistakes.....one was, we still need another first place trophy for the DONZ here on OSO.

He was the first Historic boat with twin engines to finish. Great job Frank...
Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Thanks Ron......once again it was OSS that stepped up to the plate and invited us to race with them....United we race!!

A very special thanks to Meta Berk (Mrs. Lucky Strike) who worked with my wife at registration. All those years of APBA Offshore racing finally paid off for the both of them.....they could finally use those old skills again.

Some people talk about it (United We Race), but we actually did it!!!! Thanks to everyone involved.

Here's a link to my photos from the weekend. Enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ossracin...ey=H3llb7yro8M
Old 06-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,735 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Some people talk about it (United We Race), but we actually did it!!!! Thanks to everyone involved.
Well Said!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

And a big thank you to Jeff Girardi from Freeze Frame for being such a huge supporter of this event and offshore racing in general for the past few decades. Jeff is sort of historic himself!

Thanks Jeff, nobody does it better than you!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
And a big thank you to Jeff Girardi from Freeze Frame for being such a huge supporter of this event and offshore racing in general for the past few decades. Jeff is sort of historic himself!

Thanks Jeff, nobody does it better than you!!!!
Here are some great shots from Jeff that will show you what really goes on in one of these modern high tech marvels of offshore race boats.

As you will notice the lack of a bolster or seats means the boat is lighter...thus faster. Great race strategy.

The black box on the deck area is a WWII B - 17 bomber compass. This is also old school correct for a 1963 raceboat. Who needs GPS when you can hit the mark right on with this.

What more needs to be said when you see raw power like that just blowing out those exhausts? With a little more tweaking, we expect to get over 340 HP. No wonder those cats only beat us by a little bit.....good thing it wasn't rough or they would have to cut back on their speed....it would have been close.

Our top speed was 60 and we averaged 49. Some of them had a top speed of 140 or more and averaged 100 plus....makes me want to bring out a sailboat type of handicap system....nah just have fun and enjoy the trip at whatver speed.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow Race ..Thank You-08cc5994.jpg   Don Aronow Race ..Thank You-08cc6040.jpg   Don Aronow Race ..Thank You-08cc5990.jpg  

Old 06-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Charlie, like I said in an earlier THANK YOU thread, none of this could have happened without all your hard work. Thank you again, and thanks to HORBA, Larry Goldman, Brad Schoenwald, Ron Poli, OSS, David and all his divers, and all the Angels overhead and safety boats.

The trophy is icing on the cake!

Frank
Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Registered

Frank,
Loved the story about the hose and fixing it on the water and still finishing in Great Style. I was on the Turn boat and you looked great rounding the turn in Bimini and heading back the boat sounded awesome... Nice work guys you are what it is all about for those of us that got to help make this happen.

Eric
Old 06-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Eric, we had fun making that turn. I had to cut it close so I could get back in my wake because we did not have the return/Miami coordinates in the GPS, I lost them right before the start. I needed to get a bearing before the wake dssappeared!

Thank you for being there and waving the bouy for us!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Registered

I tried to get some of the other original crew members that have been on this boat to come back for a reunion....but apparently there are only a couple left.....Ringo and Paul McCartney.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow Race ..Thank You-copy%2520of%2520favbeatles%2520formula%2520trip.jpg  
Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

tHANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT BELIEVED THAT WE COULD PULL OFF THIS RACE !
We all worked very hard and we finally were able to have the race that we all talked about for a long time !!
We also would like to thank Michael Aronow for lending HORBA ,The Don Aronow Ocean race name for this event !
This was exactly what we all wanted and we are very proud to have been a part of this very special Memorial race for Don Aronow !

Quick Reply: Don Aronow Race ..Thank You

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.