Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Torque Engineering V12 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/189838-torque-engineering-v12.html)

RMPRam 06-28-2008 05:33 PM

Torque Engineering V12

I know that Torque Engineering is out of business and I have done numerous searches for technical information on their V12 motors produced between 1999 and 2002, and have come up with virtually nothing. Can anyone help me with some literature/specifications on these motors and any problems that they had? I'm interested in a boat that has a pair of them in it and an worried that they may be more problematic than they are worth. I was told that Sterling was doing some R&D on them, but I have not seen anything in a few years. Thanks for any help.

Chris Sunkin 06-28-2008 07:36 PM

I think you're smart to be concerned. You'd be pretty much on your own for any sort of parts. I thought Callan had purchased the project and there was a cooperative association with Sterling. But then Callan kinda went away.

Neat idea- too much against it to work.

teamsynergy 06-28-2008 09:00 PM

I know the past own of torque and can possiblly try and find some info for you... give me a few days...

Thx

Ron P 06-28-2008 09:03 PM

Are you looking at the Torque boat? 49 Skater. It runs strong and I believe Professional Marine in Brick NJ does the work on it.

bob 06-28-2008 09:11 PM

Hey Gary, are we getting bored:D

Chris Sunkin 06-28-2008 09:57 PM

There's really nothing mysterious or groundbreaking about the Torque. Anybody who ever worked on an Allison or Rolls/Packard 12 will tell you they look exceptionally similar. Ryan Falconer has a very similar motor and it's FAA certified- used in those 3/5th's scale Mustang replicas.

Comanche3Six 06-28-2008 10:53 PM

If Callan and Sterling can't make it happen, then I would steer clear of it.

2112 06-28-2008 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin (Post 2606197)
There's really nothing mysterious or groundbreaking about the Torque. Anybody who ever worked on an Allison or Rolls/Packard 12 will tell you they look exceptionally similar. Ryan Falconer has a very similar motor and it's FAA certified- used in those 3/5th's scale Mustang replicas.

Are the Aircraft engines Overhead cam or Pushrod? I thought the Torques were like two Chev V-6s put end to end. Didn't they have 4 cylinder heads?

PS I love the Replica 51s. Is there more that the Stewart? Is Falconer still a going concern?

Chris Sunkin 06-29-2008 08:25 AM

The Allison and the Rolls design were OHC. If you ever have the opportunity to see one disassembled you should take it. They're a marvel of craftsmanship- like a giant Swiss watch. Falconer has been around forever building high-end racing engines. Ryan will be around until he retires. I've only seen the one repro 51- there may be more... possibly one-offs. My dad's boss owned one- a real one. Back in the 60's. Got it from Gov't surplus for like $500. He used to taxi it around the parking lot at his shop on weekends. He didn't have a pilot's licence!

offshoredrillin 06-29-2008 08:40 AM

That is a very cool boat, I have looked at the pics many times. My .02 cents would see if you can get it without power and re rig it for V8's, I believe it has 6's already. When I asked Randy about it, he said he would make an offer to the bank if anyone wants it, so obviously it is bank owned for some reason. It would be a looker with a 1075 pkg in it...good luck