Accident - 3 fatalities - lake Ontario >

Accident - 3 fatalities - lake Ontario

Notices

Accident - 3 fatalities - lake Ontario

Old 06-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our condolences to the families and loved ones.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Prayers go out to all involved
Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

So sad
Old 06-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Registered

So sad....
Old 06-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered

Yeah! I agree with all above comments. The Pier here complys with all federal requirments. Third accident in 15 years, not like it happens all the times, so that being said, I believe alcohol and speed were factors. The results are not in regarding alcohol.
Brand New 08 Baja, Three weeks old

Way too bad for all
Old 07-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Update

http://rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=6...18&category=10
Old 07-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all the familys involved.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The operator's cousin and an occupant of the boat-
"He was definitely speeding. I know the lady that was sittin’ between me and my cousin Earnest, she definitely said that she doesn't like to be on the boat when he's drunk because he drives real reckless and erratic. He turned around and told her shut the, up. You know, and just gunned it. Turned the radio up on her and just kept goin'," Arjon said.

"He was goin’ pretty fast right then from the gate. His hat flew off. He circled around to get his hat, didn't find his hat, he went even faster. He just sped off. Couple minutes after that, we hit the brick wall, the pier. And I wake up, I see everybody you know, terrible shape," Earnest said.
Speaks for itself.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Registered

Terrible story...sounds extremely preventable.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Without the obvious comments, here is the text of the article.

Boat Crash Survivors Speak by Leah George
photo by Helen Moore
Published Jul 01, 2008

We're learning more about what happened on the speed boat that was involved in a fatal crash on Lake Ontario this weekend.

It hit the Summerville Pier.

The crash killed three people.

Survivors, Arjon Bantum, 28, and Earnest Edwards III, 30, say the wreck could've happened to anyone.

Earnest said he went to Pelican's Nest Friday night with his cousins, Arjon and Cori Mitchell, 28, to celebrate his 30th birthday.

Earnest says he hates boats and being on the water. He says his cousin Cori was infatuated with them.

"My cousin loved boats. So, that was his thing right there. So, that was right up his alley to see a nice boat sittin’ there," Earnest said. Earnest says Cori's love of boats started the first and only conversation he and his cousins ever had with Howard Eddy, 35. Earnest and Arjon say at about the time Pelican's Nest was getting ready to close, Howard Eddy offered the trio a ride on his 23 foot baja.

Eddy was with two women.

"He was definitely speeding. I know the lady that was sittin’ between me and my cousin Earnest, she definitely said that she doesn't like to be on the boat when he's drunk because he drives real reckless and erratic. He turned around and told her shut the, up. You know, and just gunned it. Turned the radio up on her and just kept goin'," Arjon said.

"He was goin’ pretty fast right then from the gate. His hat flew off. He circled around to get his hat, didn't find his hat, he went even faster. He just sped off. Couple minutes after that, we hit the brick wall, the pier. And I wake up, I see everybody you know, terrible shape," Earnest said.

Earnest says he tried to call 911 on his cell, but couldn't get through. He called his mom.

"I'm tryin’ to tell my mom where I'm at the best as I can. All I know, it's a pier. Just come to Charlotte Beach. Come to the pier," said Earnest. Earnest said the two women, Michele Ciaccia, 33 and her stepsister Jennifer Leasure, 30, died at the pier.

His cousin Cori also died.

The driver, Howard Eddy, was taken to Strong Memorial Hospital with serious injuries.

"I mean, like I said it was more like a horror movie. Like when you all just sittin' there smilin', havin' fun, laughin' and all of a sudden you close your eyes and look up again and everybody in terrible shape. It didn't seem real man, it didn't," said Earnest.

Earnest and Arjon say it'll take time, but their physical injuries will heal.

Dealing with the unexpected loss of a loved one will be harder. The men know they're not alone.

"My condolences go out to the other families.," Arjon said.

"I mean, I know how they feelin' right now, I really do. And I swear, never one of us should have sat on that boat," Earnest said. Investigators said they believe speed was a factor in the crash. They have not yet said whether alcohol played a role.

The hospital would not confirm the condition of the boat's driver, because of patient laws.

R News has also not been able to speak with Eddy's family.

Quick Reply: Accident - 3 fatalities - lake Ontario

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.