Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Accident - 3 fatalities - lake Ontario >

Accident - 3 fatalities - lake Ontario

Notices

Accident - 3 fatalities - lake Ontario

Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice of all of you to post your condolences. Yet another very tragic and avoidable accident.

It's a sad time here, the girls were laid to rest at 1pm today in the town that I live it. Everyone is having a tough time with this...the reporter from C Spray's posting is a friend of mine and the calling hours for the girls were at another friend of mines funeral home. The gentleman on board is being laid to rest tomorrow. Everyone close to the accident has said there has been a lot of community support (and now from the OSO community in 2 threads) and hundreds if not more have come out to pay their respects.

So I think I can speak for all OSO members in the Rochester, NY area. Thank you all for your thoughts, concerns and prayers.

Mike
Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by daredevil
My prayers are with the Fam.

Altho the boat does not look like it was a fast impact.
I seen worse damages to hulls then that .
The pictures of the boat don't look that bad. There is a video of it being towed in where it looks worse. Ripped the bow open and the stbd side of the wind deflector is gone. Reports have been kind of quiet as to how he hit and what happened immediately thereafter.

I was told by an officer that he was going between 50-60.

There were 6 people on the boat, the 2 stepsisters and 29 year old man are deceased, the 2 other guys in the interview that 96scarab posted had minor injuries and the driver is still in guarded condition at a local hospital.

Mike
Old 07-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very sad, I am sure that guy was thrilled to be given a ride on an offshore boat, what a tragic outcome. May they all rest in peace.

Twice in last few years Ian and I have met people in restaurant that were intrigued by our boat and we took them a ride. We would only do that during daylight and when sober but it makes me think how innocent people are so willing to jump on a boat with complete strangers.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

This is so sad and my condolences to the families.

It also makes me extremely mad if it was in fact true that the driver was drunk and being completely reckless both with the operation of the boat and disregarding the concerns of his passengers.
100% preventable.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Registered

Unhappy

Unfortunately, I have to admit, this could have been me about two years ago. You guys have no idea how powerful these threads can be to boaters that haven't a clue as to how dangerous boating at night or intoxicated can be. I know a lot of fellow boaters will say that these accidents shouldn't be questioned or discussed, but I have to say that me and my family are safer boaters thanks to OSO. I'm just sorry that the driver of this boat didn't have the opportunity. Reading this makes me sick to my stomach. Condolences to all involved.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Unfortunately, I have to admit, this could have been me about two years ago. You guys have no idea how powerful these threads can be to boaters that haven't a clue as to how dangerous boating at night or intoxicated can be. I know a lot of fellow boaters will say that these accidents shouldn't be questioned or discussed, but I have to say that me and my family are safer boaters thanks to OSO. I'm just sorry that the driver of this boat didn't have the opportunity. Reading this makes me sick to my stomach. Condolences to all involved.
We still get a few on the board who will shout you down on these threads saying it is none of our business what someone does, but fewer and fewer as time goes on, as it becomes clear about the dangers of night operation and/or intoxication. Too many innocent people end up being the victims. The damage to the victim's families goes far beyond a funeral.

I'm glad to hear the board is helping. May many happy years of safe boating be ahead for you, your family, and friends.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 07-03-2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Registered

My prayers go out to the families and friends affected by this tragedy,it is very sad. There have been to many accidents this year period,I've been on here for 3 years and have not seen anything like this. Its like every other week there will be an accindent thread on here...All of them could be avoided,i'm 23yrs old and I NEVER drink and boat, all it take is a split second and your in trouble. I'm sorry but alcohol is just not worth my life,my friends and family's lives and its not worth my investment in my boat...I hope everyone will learn before its too late...
Old 07-04-2008, 10:03 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

R.I.P Prayers go out to all.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:24 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Agree. Some of the stuff I did 15 years ago gives me the chills when I think about it. 70 MPH in the pitch black at 3 AM with a boatload of people. Scary chit.