Notices

More power, use less gas on Methanol injection

Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel

"Ethanol-based engines
Ethanol is most commonly used to power automobiles, though it may be used to power other vehicles, such as farm tractors and airplanes. Ethanol (E100) consumption in an engine is approximately 34% higher than that of gasoline (the energy per volume unit is 34% lower).[14][15] However, higher compression ratios in an ethanol-only engine allow for increased power output and better fuel economy than would be obtained with the lower compression ratio.[16][17] In general, ethanol-only engines are tuned to give slightly better power and torque output to gasoline-powered engines."
Old 07-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I did not do a baseline without Meth just on the dyno which said we were spot on. The EGT and O2 were installed at the same time as the injection. With 12 pounds of boost and 93 octane with no change in jetting the EGTs were 1200 at 4000 (3 # boost) and WOT it was 1000. The EGT would go down 200 degrees + the instant the light came on telling me the meth kicked in. Now I cruise at 1250 at 4000 and 1350 WOT. Sitll rich according the O2 sensors, but the boat is so fast I am leaving it alone.

Gatorone, you were my inspiration at the shootout with how well your boat ran with the injection.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Interesting,I have thought about doing the same set-up but have woondered about the specifics. I called my oil wholesaler today to check on menthanol.Last year it was 89$ a 55 gallon drum,its currently 169$ a drum around here including the drum. I don't know if you guys are getting it from a oil wholesaler or not but its commonly sold as windshield washer antifreeze,I asked it it was diluted or had anything else in it,nope.
Panther,Ethanol and Methanol are different,I'm no expert but my understanding is if you were to convert a motor to run on 100% methanol it takes 220% more-2.2 gallons to replace 1 gallon of gasoline generally with a 10 to 15% power gain over normal gas,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 07-01-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would be much better served to run a 50\50 mix of water\meth
Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Brad Zastrow;2609620]I did not do a baseline without Meth just on the dyno which said we were spot on. The EGT and O2 were installed at the same time as the injection. With 12 pounds of boost and 93 octane with no change in jetting the EGTs were 1200 at 4000 (3 # boost) and WOT it was 1000. The EGT would go down 200 degrees + the instant the light came on telling me the meth kicked in. Now I cruise at 1250 at 4000 and 1350 WOT. Sitll rich according the O2 sensors, but the boat is so fast I am leaving it alone.

RICH IS GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!! but the boat is so fast I am leaving it alone. Very impressive wheres Pbam ???? I heard that Meth is some pretty good stuff . You mentioned you dont burn much ..How many gallons are you consuming for a 100 mile poker run ??..thnx in advance
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tzrider
You would be much better served to run a 50\50 mix of water\meth
Think so BIG Daddy ??? we tried 20% water 80% meth and she put the fire out at 5000 rpm lost power like a mofo
Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There are a bunch of guys running meth injection over on Performnce boats. Many use the windshield wiper fluid as stated earlier. Seems to really work well.

Brad, are using a custom setup, or an off the shelf kit?

Darrell
Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Panther,Ethanol and Methanol are different,I'm no expert but my understanding is if you were to convert a motor to run on 100% methanol it takes 220% more-2.2 gallons to replace 1 gallon of gasoline generally with a 10 to 15% power gain over normal gas,Smitty
I looked up the wrong info...whoops......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol_fuel

"Both methanol and ethanol burn at lower temperatures than gasoline, and both are less volatile, making engine starting in cold weather difficult. Using methanol as a fuel in spark ignition engines can offer an increased thermal efficiency and increased power output (as compared to gasoline) due to its high octane rating (114[1]) and high heat of vaporisation. However, its low energy content of 19.7 MJ/kg and stoichiometric air fuel ratio of 6.42:1 mean that fuel consumption (on volume or mass basis) will be higher than hydrocarbon fuels. The extra water produced also makes the charge rather wet and combined with the formation of acidic products during combustion, the wearing of valves, valveseats and cylinder can be higher than with hydrocarbon burning. Certain additives may be added to motor oil in order to neutralize these acids."
Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

It was a custom setup for my engine. See the website I posted above. I am no expert, but here is my take on meth injection. Low octane gas makes a lot of power even more than race gas however it detonates more easily than race gas. Higher Octane burns more slowly to simply allow you to run more boost and advance to make power. What the Meth is doing is allowing me to run more boost, lean the engine down and run 93 octane a hot fuel. The meth is the cooling agent. I have an issue running windsheild wiper fluid in my expensive engines to save a couple of bucks. I am saving far more not running race gas any longer.

In 106 miles on Lake Michigan the boat used less than 5 gals. We averaged 120 mph which is only running 3 pounds of boost at cruising so no meth at all. At 8 pounds it comes on and there is a pressure switch light to tell you it is working. However at the Oskosh Poker Run the water was very rough and I was in and out of the throttle and it must have been turning the meth on and off, so it used about 8 gals total in 60-75 miles. I have two 10 gal tanks which should be plenty for a days running. The odd part is I am still showing a 1/2 tank of gasoline after running 170 miles. So I have used about 120 gals of gas. Not bad...
Old 07-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Low octane gas makes a lot of power even more than race gas however it detonates more easily than race gas. Higher Octane burns more slowly to simply allow you to run more boost and advance to make power.
Just to set the record straight, low octane gasoline does not make more power than high octane gasoline, be it race gas or just premium gas. It has essentially the same energy content. High octane fuel also does not burn any more slowly. It just has a higher resistance to detonation. Therefore, high octane fuel has the potential to generate more horsepower than low octane fuel if the engine is designed and tuned for it.

Michael

Quick Reply: More power, use less gas on Methanol injection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.