Notices

Ignition Question

Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Question

I have a 33' Outlaw with 496 Mag HO's and my starboard engine has a loose connection or something because when I hit a wave you can see the tach drop in RPM and if I hit a big enough wave it will die completely. When it dies all gauges are dead except the volts. If I put it back in neutral it will start right back up every time. I have looked behind the dash panel for loose connections at the tach and key switch and can't see anything. I have also looked at just about every connection I can get my hand on in the engine compartment including the main plug and dont see anything loose either. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Will a scan tool be able to tell me what's wrong just by idling or will the engine have to actually die while the tool is hooked up or will it not be able to tell me anything no matter what?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Double check the key switch connections. Tug on each one of them, and also tug on each connection at your lanyard/kill switch.

Check the alternators really well.

I don't know if a Rinda/scan tool will be of much good for you on this one.

If you can't find anything wrong, can you isolate each motor to a battery? Thin chance, but it can happen.... you could have a loose connection IN your battery as in loose plate(s) or something else going wrong.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the laynard to compare the gauges when it died and when I did, it killed everything including the volt gauge so I ruled that out.