Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ripped off by boattrader add (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/190209-ripped-off-boattrader-add.html)

stirling 07-03-2008 04:51 PM

ripped off by boattrader add

A friend needed a set 300 hp small blocks for a Sea ray Pachenga 27,there was an add on Boattrader from a guy that had 2 x 300 hp 5,7 L carb mercruisers for sale 2006 with 50 hrs ,complete engines for $ 8500 My friend saw these engines new for around 10-11K for a set ,so he found the price not that bad .

The picture in the add shows a set exacty what he needed,a set complete engines by looks like new condition.
I called the guy ,he is located in Florida Ft Lauderdale (I got his name and adress )he said the engines were like new condition with only 50 hrs

We agreed $ 7500 for both engines,and he could deliver the engines in a warehouse so they could be shipped to my friends place in Europe .

Today my friend received a few pics that the guys at the warehouse had taken ,and it seems that both engines were just old corroded small blocks with aftermarket exhaust (badly corroded) with only the carburator and distributor on the engine ....no flywheel,no bellhousing no pully,s no starter alternator ,no wiring.......just 10 year old long blocks with old carburators and old exhaust ,worth maybe $ 1000 ...???

We tried to call the guy ,but the phone was currently unavailable ....mmmm.....

Any advice what to do guys ???

We are located in Europe ,we paid him through our shipping agent ,they gave him a cashier check....

I know we had to do this a bit different off course ,we better had sent the picture from the add to the guys at the warehouse ,so they could see the engines are not the ones that were on boattraders add ...

He is located in Margate FL FT Lauderdale

I have all the details incl a copy of his drivers licence ,whats the best thing to do ????

thanks A.J

jeff32 07-03-2008 05:31 PM

no idea but sad to hear... keep us posted on the ''how the case waS HANDLED''...

cmcjo 07-03-2008 06:48 PM

That really sucks. Are you sure his drivers license is not fake as well? You might want to post his name maybe someone here knows him.

Google his name and email as well. You might find him on other forums.

CAPTAIN CHUCK 07-03-2008 06:59 PM

If he is really in Ft Lauderdale I guarantee someone on here knows him....

I say post his name and info and he will be found.

Good luck.

stirling 07-04-2008 09:52 AM

I spoke with him today ,he picked up the phone ,I told him we are very dissapointed ,and felt cheated with the engines and that we need a solution to this problem.
He said he used these engines from new for 50 hrs ,and they were perfect engines .....must be running perfect without starters, flywheels ,alternators ,power steering pump,wiring sensors ,pulley,s ,belts etc etc
Anyway he said he would call me tomorrow ..

I,II keep this posted

A.J

CAP071 07-04-2008 10:00 AM

Post ALL His info

Ratickle 07-04-2008 10:22 AM

Is there any chance it is the warehouse guys, not the seller's issue?

PJDiesel 07-04-2008 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ratickle (Post 2612534)
Is there any chance it is the warehouse guys, not the seller's issue?

Eww, that would be interesting. Warehouse worker swaps them out with his old, tired motors.......

It just always blows when you hear about shady or misrepreseneted deals like this.

Wild Card 09 07-04-2008 01:14 PM

This warehouse **** sounds pretty strange to me. It sounds like the guy smooth talked you to get of the phone and buy some time. You have to get some straight facts. Please post the pictures, so we can see what you have seen, and maybe make a more qualified call on this.
Just donīt lose any time now. If the guy is straight, he should be able to understand your concern, but if he is selling piss as malt, he will do his best to play for time.

RunninHotRacing163.1 07-05-2008 10:39 AM

U better head over to margate florida with a Lg can of W@@p Azz and meet face to face ...phuch the phone chit :cool-smiley-027::cool:

DollaBill 07-05-2008 10:46 AM

post his info

mikebrls 07-05-2008 01:25 PM

Post Some Info
I Live Real Real Close To Margate I Can Walk There .
Who Is This Person ???????

Ratickle 07-06-2008 07:11 AM

Still no more info?:confused: Members are trying to help.

Pantera1 07-06-2008 07:28 AM

Sign of the times

stirling 07-06-2008 03:53 PM

I talked to him again today ,he said he called them(the marine shop he bought the engines ) the 4 th ,but they were closed,saturday they where closed too,he is going to call me tomorrow when he is at the marine shop.

He sounds like he is going to take care of it ,and said he will do anything to handle this issue ...

I,II wait for his call tomorrow ,I want to post his details here too ,but hate to do that if he is really taking care ...

Thanks for input ,I know its best to talk face to face ,but we are 5000 miles from Florida ...the people at the warehouse are 100% I do my shipping for more than 6 years with them,and never had any problem.

I will post tomorrow

A.J

IM4A2Z 07-08-2008 12:14 PM

This is one of those transactions where an escrow service would have been a good idea.

Jigsaw89 07-08-2008 03:00 PM

It's been one day since the warehouse was supposed to get back to you. What did they say?

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

baddogz28 07-08-2008 03:02 PM

As has been said prior, post all of this scum's info.

jeff1000man 07-08-2008 03:07 PM

Sorry to hear.

You guys have this board and forum to work with to find what you need.

At least if you buy stuff from guys here on the board, you get what you pay for.

Good Luck

rchevelle71 07-09-2008 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by mikebrls (Post 2613055)
Post Some Info
I Live Real Real Close To Margate I Can Walk There .
Who Is This Person ???????

Yup, he is between Mike and I:violent-smiley-045:

Post his info when ready.

Mike,

Wanna go to lake boca Sunday?? We got the Scarab running, and the pantera has been dry too long:ernaehrung004:

Rick

stirling 07-09-2008 06:18 PM

Ok guys ,I talked to him several times ,it seems he bought these engines at Daddyos marine engines ( www.daddyosmarine.com) he said that he bought them as complete running packages ,I said thats ok , a complete running engine package should have everything you need to make the engines run ,right ??? he said no ,they come without the flywheel ,pulley,s powersteering pump,starter,alternator etc etc ,he said he is willing to buy 2 starters and 2 alternators to satisfy us .
The starters and alternators where on the receipt from daddyosmarine,but his cousin took them off because he had these engines with him in a boat that belongs to his cousin...

If I look at the website from daddyosmarine ,these engines sell for $ 4495 each and are replacement engines ,wich means ( to me ) that you use your own flywheel,pulley,s starters ,alternators etc etc .

If he had put ,, replacement engines ,, in his add ,my friend had never bought them.

I told him my friend want his money back ,but he said he could not do that .

I told him I will get back to him tomorrow .

This guy sounds like he had really no clue about engines and marine stuff ,and sounds like he had done nothing wrong...

What do you guys think ?? should we let him buy us a set starters and alternators and live on with this, and find ourself the rest of the parts that are missing ?

Or should I post his info ?

thx A.J

rchevelle71 07-09-2008 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by stirling (Post 2617724)
Ok guys ,I talked to him several times ,it seems he bought these engines at Daddyos marine engines ( www.daddyosmarine.com) he said that he bought them as complete running packages ,I said thats ok , a complete running engine package should have everything you need to make the engines run ,right ??? he said no ,they come without the flywheel ,pulley,s powersteering pump,starter,alternator etc etc ,he said he is willing to buy 2 starters and 2 alternators to satisfy us .
The starters and alternators where on the receipt from daddyosmarine,but his cousin took them off because he had these engines with him in a boat that belongs to his cousin...

If I look at the website from daddyosmarine ,these engines sell for $ 4495 each and are replacement engines ,wich means ( to me ) that you use your own flywheel,pulley,s starters ,alternators etc etc .

If he had put ,, replacement engines ,, in his add ,my friend had never bought them.

I told him my friend want his money back ,but he said he could not do that .

I told him I will get back to him tomorrow .

This guy sounds like he had really no clue about engines and marine stuff ,and sounds like he had done nothing wrong...

What do you guys think ?? should we let him buy us a set starters and alternators and live on with this, and find ourself the rest of the parts that are missing ?

Or should I post his info ?

thx A.J

Sounds like your buddy bought his old JUNK, he put the new stuff from Daddyo's in his boat, and is selling you the leftovers, I would OUT him!!!

sleek1 07-09-2008 07:55 PM

I think if he had any principle and nothing to hide or was confident in the engines worth, he would refund your money (less any expenses). If the engines are good he could just resell them.

Audiofn 07-09-2008 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2616083)
Sorry to hear.

You guys have this board and forum to work with to find what you need.

At least if you buy stuff from guys here on the board, you get what you pay for.

Good Luck

Unfortunately often times this is not the case. There have been many times that memebers have been screwed by other "members"