Al Copeland Memorial Race

Old 07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,632 Likes on 3,770 Posts
Default Al Copeland Memorial Race

AL COPELAND FOUNDATION

BRINGS POWERBOAT RACES BACK TO NEW ORLEANS AREA

Kenner, La., July 3, 2008 – Al Copeland passed away this past Easter Sunday but his family it not going to let Big Al’s passion for Offshore Racing die with him. The Copeland family and race producer, Lou Anne Campbell have invited The Offshore Super Series Powerboat Racing Association to make Kenner LA the fourth stop on the OSS 2008 National Tour. The Al Copeland Memorial Powerboat Race will be held on August 1-3 at Laketown Park in Kenner, LA. The memorial race weekend is made possible through a donation to the Al Copeland Foundation by AFC Enterprises Inc., parent company of Popeye’s Famous Fried Chicken.

Al Copeland loved offshore racing and excelled in the sport during the 1980s and early 1990s. A six-time National Champion, he popularized the sport by partnering with actor Chuck Norris in their Popeye’s/Diet Coke race boat. His family started the foundation which will benefit from a portion of the proceeds from the race weekend. Its mission is to fund research for merkel cell carcinoma from which Copeland died this past Spring.

The foundation is also hosting The Al Copeland Memorial Boat Race Party the evening of Friday, August 1. With several bands, food from the various Copeland restaurants; the party promises to rival the legendary Copeland parties from “back in the day.”

Thanks to the Air National Guard and all the people that have helped the Copeland family make this race a reality. Please visit www.offshoresuperseries.com to see the current team standings and who will be vying for the points lead and the cash purse in Kenner.

For details about the race and a course map visit www.alcopelandrace.com
Old 07-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trying my hardest to make this one
Old 07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait Pete. Naturally, there will be a strong contingent from South Louisiana there. Still haven't decided if we are coming by boat or car but we will be there.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure we could use more volunteer boats if anyone's interested in having the best seat in the house for the weekend.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered

Ron is it possible to have p class racing there?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ron P
I'm sure we could use more volunteer boats if anyone's interested in having the best seat in the house for the weekend.
I'm definitely taking that under consideration Ron. If that is a workable situation I will let you know ASAP.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
Ron, If I am not in Saudi i would like to be a volunteer. I'll be in touch soon.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Registered

I am in and I plan on bringing my boat. Ron - I dunno what you need for a volunteer boat, but let me know. If I can help, I will.

Also, If anyone wants to do a post race party in the Quarter, I have a gated courtyard and an apt with balcony halfway between Bourbon and Decatur on Toulouse. I just need enough interest to reserve the courtyard.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered

I had planned on volunteering but don't want to have to spend all day, both days out there. Have a trip planned to Madisonville for lunch that Sat, might head over to New Orleans afterwards if it will be in time to see some racing.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Thanks for your interest in helping out with this race. Since it's a first time event, gathering a volunteer fleet is alwasy somewhat difficult. We need four big turn boats and a dozen or so smaller boats to keep a line for the spectators to stay behind.

It's my understanding that volunteers will be provided tickets to the HUGE Copeland bash on Friday night. You won't want to miss this.

Lou Anne Campbell ([email protected]) is the promoter for this race, please send her an email if your interested in helping either on land or sea. We need boats on the water both Saturday and Sunday. More on Sunday.

If you'd like to join the OSS email list, send me an email at
[email protected] and you'll get all the info about hotel disounts, schedules and such for every race.

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to get to Kenner!

Quick Reply: Al Copeland Memorial Race

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.