Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What are Blackhawk drives worth? >

What are Blackhawk drives worth?

Notices

What are Blackhawk drives worth?

Old 02-27-2002, 02:13 PM
283CHECK

Default What are Blackhawk drives worth?

We are kicking the tires(so to speak)on a newer boat that is equipped with 502's and blackhawk drives. I am not interested in keeping the blackhawks, would I be better off having the owner(which is the factory)remove them and install bravo drives? If so what kind of dollar difference should I expect to see? Or should I buy the boat as is and sell the blackhawks and pick up a set of bravo's ? What's your thoughts??

Thanks
Chris

Old 02-27-2002, 02:24 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen them run any where from 2k for a modified used drive on up to 7k for a brand new one. The number of hours on the drive is also a variable. Depending on where your price falls, I may be interested. But only in drive, not two.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:32 PM
283CHECK

Cord
I am actually unfamilar with not only the cost of blackhawk drives but also bravos. So I was thinking that if I have the factory replace them with bravos I could pick up a warranty and not have the headace of trying to sell them. So if you are saying between 2-7k maybe make and average price of 3500 then new bravos cost what, I seen Bruce had some depending on gear ratio around 5k? I looks as if I'd be buying a drive outright?

Or am I off in left field??

Chris

Old 02-27-2002, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

at the Miami show, Dollar offshore had a brand new Blackhawk drive for sale at $3500.

Kurt
Old 02-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

I believe the BlackHawks are surface drives .... So, if you bolt on Bravos, you are going to change the X-dim ... then the boat may not perform like the original rigging was setup to.

True or not ??
Old 02-27-2002, 02:51 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Is this a new boat? If it is why would they even use blackhack drives.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:58 PM
283CHECK

Cigarette1-
That is true, and my understanding is that if I put on bravos that the x-dim would act more like short drives? Is this true or not?

KCHOTBOAT-
Check your private mail, and no it is not a new boat it is one they took in on trade for a new boat. It is a 96.

Thanks all for the info keep it coming..

Chris

Old 02-27-2002, 03:01 PM
GOT MERC?

Cool

Here are some of the pros and cons of the legendary Blackhawk drive. Pros are the boat that is in question will run approx 10 mph slower with stock Bravo outdrives. Also all of the parts internally are the same as Mercruisers Bravo III sterndrive which will be available for a long time. Here are the cons, the actual housing that all the parts fit in is no longer available from Mercruiser and also those fancy propellers that only fit on a Blackhawk. This should give you an education and make your decision on your purchase a little easier.
Old 02-27-2002, 03:08 PM
283CHECK

Goodfella-
What are the pros and cons of switching to the bravos besides the 10mph difference?

Some of my concerns with the blackhawks are 1)reliability and repair cost 2)use and handling my wife and I will both drive this boat.

Old 02-27-2002, 03:09 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

283CHECK, I think it would be just the opposite, your props would be deeper in the water. That's why Goodfella says you would lose 10 mph.

Gary

Quick Reply: What are Blackhawk drives worth?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.