Notices

Active Thunder Crash

Old 07-11-2008, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mccaffertee
I am wondering why it was being kept such a secret, usually there is something more to it when there appears to be the silent treatment.

Everyone says they are fast, so it this the first accident??? Driver error or did something else happen? Glad nobody was hurt.
Driver misjudgement.

Last edited by ActiveThunder; 07-14-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quiet Storm
I ran aground at that poker run with a broken drive while idleing in on one motor. It was a total white out.

Maybe I should get another boat. Look at all the fun I'm missing.
One I'll never forget. We were the White Lake card boat, (Hotrodders 50 Cary), left to go north after everyone took off south. Got about 3 miles and couldn't see the end of the boat. Radar broke, damn near idled all the way to Muskegon, called Mark and Grand Haven Coast Guard, finally got through and told them don't send the boats north. Some came anyway to watch the speed record run. One Fountain hit the pier I think. Came in with a nice hole in it. Then after one test attempt the record run got cancelled cause the fog rolled into Muskegon lake. Finally someone drove up from Grand Haven and took my wife back with them and the cards. We finally decided to give it a shot before dark and ran slow all the way back until about 3 miles north of Grand Haven and it was clear. Really Sucked! Missed everything.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by BAJA WILL; 07-14-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL
Damn for 5K was their noway to drag it off with two or the boats pulling.

Damn if I wouldn't have tried
I agree, seems to me if you waited for high tide and got a couple boats and rigged it right you could have saved alot of money.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Hmmm, for 5k maybe i should buy a big tow line and cruise around looking for victims uhh I mean customers....Sux.

I agree, simply driver stupidity. In a light aircraft the NTSB would call it pilot error. All in all it is a good lessoon for all of us to be wayyyy cautious in low visibility conditions. I got stuck in the muck a few years ago on the ChesBay and luckily I had my hand held with me to keep me headed in the right direction at a slow troll. There's reason the big ships use the FOGhorns.

Glad to hear both the boat and the crew were just fine except for a little ego and pocket spanking.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

A few more tidbits of info:

He's not on OSO, but many folks on the east coast know him.
He's been running powerboats since before I was born, so he's not new to it, or the area. He knew exactly where he was, and once he realized he was in trouble, being out of the channel and getting shallow, he attempted to navigate out of the shallow water. It was not 1100 feet straight in, albeit it was several hundred feet. The tow cable and path they took out was 1100 feet.
Once he realized there was no getting out of the shallows, he trimmed it up and set it down. The boat was barely on plane.
The drives lost about 2" of paint on the skegs. Once the boat was into deeper water, it was driven back to the trailer with no issues.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 07-13-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mccaffertee
I am wondering why it was being kept such a secret, usually there is something more to it when there appears to be the silent treatment.

Everyone says they are fast, so it this the first accident??? Driver error or did something else happen? Glad nobody was hurt.
The is/was no silent treatment. There are plenty of boat accidents/incidents/mishaps that take place, and they don't all end up on OSO. There is no hush-hush conspiracy.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My comments in red.
Originally Posted by OldSchool
A. Don't drink the Corona if you aren't used to it. It will give you the chits. That's not a joke
Thanks

B. There is no war and no truce needed, this is the internet.Fair enough.

C. If I'm not allowed to talk about monsoon blowing drives, you're not allowed to talk about the $30,000 kick in the nuts that I got last year. Sounds fair enough to me. Am I sensitive about it? Yes
I don't care about the drives that I've blown. It happens. That's what warranty is for.

D. I'm not in the office, If you do have a need to call me back you will have to call my cell.
n/c

E. Your a moderater right? Delete the thread. I didn't have anything to do with it until my phone started ringing this morning.
I can't delete a thread in bias to any manufacturer.

F. I am truely glad that no one was hurt in the alleged incident. I am sure that no one is looking to flame AT on this, but people are curious about the circumstances. I don't know them. Maybe some details could prevent the same thing from happening to someone else. As I have already said, running aground in the fog can happen to anyone in any brand of boat. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with active thunder.Great, but I am unsure of why you put your original comment up about starting a new thread about an AT mishap on a Poker Run on Pat's thread. I don't need an answer. I'll just continue to wonder.

G. That's all I have to say, except that Steckz is a homo with no boat.
Apparently Allan4 is a putz as well.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Registered

Question

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
The is/was no silent treatment. There are plenty of boat accidents/incidents/mishaps that take place, and they don't all end up on OSO. There is no hush-hush conspiracy.
Well it came off that way and you brought it back up and for the life of me I can't understand why when it was long gone and forgotten. Or is it that the members (cult) should be back now and you want them to see it????? It seemed to me that Pat put an end to with his last comment.

Last edited by cosmic12; 07-14-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

If it were a friend of mine, I would want to go undercover with it too not wanting to make it the ONLY thing the guy was known for. That wouldn't be fair. And yes there's lots and lots that never make it to the board and that's a good thing. Sometimes it CAN get to be like "Desperate Man-wife's" on here where's it's nothing but idle gossip. Men aren't supposed to be that way.

Now what I'm interested in is where this incident took place, and at what point the boat entered the fog bank. Kinda like JFK jr flying into the muck getting disoriented ending up in a death spiral...Lessons learned from a pilot's perspective. There's lessons to be learned in this incidence too......heading to work, check ya later.

Quick Reply: Active Thunder Crash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.