Notices

Rocky Aoki Dies at age 69

Old 07-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very sorry to hear the news!
I first met Rocky back in 1977 when I was a young aspiring boat racer and boat builder. He was like meeting a rock star!

Later on in 1989 he sponsored my son Jo's Pro Stock drag racing camaro @ the age of 17 y/o.

Rocky once told me:
If you are scared of dying, you are scared of living!
Obviously he was not scared of dying since he lived a full life!

May he rest in peace!
pp.
Attached Thumbnails Rocky Aoki Dies at age 69-benihana-trailer.jpg  
Old 07-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

RIP my friend. I was lucky enuff to spend the day on an Apache with Rocky in Pt Pleasant this past year at the OPA Race. We were 1 of the pace boats
Old 07-12-2008, 10:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Rocky Aoki was a nice guy. I was a teenager, or maybe 12 years old or so. My father and I were having breakfast at the diner near, or on, Route 88 in Pt. Pleasant Beach on the morning of one Pt. Pleasant races. Into the diner comes Rocky in his race garb. At this point I had been wrestling since age eight, and I was pretty good wrestler; but to see an Olympic wrestler, AND an offshore racer, and successful businessman - I was starstruck.

I approached him to speak about raceboats and wrestling; he treated me with respect and kindness, truly a decent guy. He could have blown me off in order to enjoy his breakfast and focus on the race that day, but he gave me his time. That was class.

He just seemed like a good guy, who liked people, had money to burn, and liked to race. And, the fact he wrestled in the Olympics, I knew, and I could appreciate that he was a tough dude.

That is my memory of Mr. Aoki, one good dude. May he be with God. Rest in peace Brother Rocky! (repost of another thread)

I always thought that 35' Cigarette "Spirit" it was the fastest/baddest 35' in the era; and once Rocky bought it with Smitty on the sticks, they won..Didn't they?

Last edited by Smarty; 07-12-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:54 PM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RIP Rock
Old 07-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JO - PANTERABOATS
Very sorry to hear the news!
I first met Rocky back in 1977 when I was a young aspiring boat racer and boat builder. He was like meeting a rock star!

Later on in 1989 he sponsored my son Jo's Pro Stock drag racing camaro @ the age of 17 y/o.

Rocky once told me:
If you are scared of dying, you are scared of living!
Obviously he was not scared of dying since he lived a full life!

May he rest in peace!
pp.
Check out the movie star in the yellow shorts!
Old 07-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rest in Peace.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts

Just rec'd an e-mail from Rocky's wife. The funeral tom'w is private, but she said that she really appreciates the many condolonces from the people in the offshore fraternity.

She said Rocky considered the world of offshore racing such an important part of his life and he loved being with the people who raced and the fans and at the race sites.

Here is a photo from last year when my wife and I had lunch with Rocky and his wife in Point Pleasant.

I spoke to him last when Al Copeland died and he wanted to send something special for the funeral.

In just a short time we have lost two of the big names of the sport. I'm so glad we had the reunion last month so many of the guys could get together for one more time.
Attached Thumbnails Rocky Aoki Dies at age 69-point-pleasant-2007-038-small-.jpg  
Old 07-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rip

R.I.P. Rocky, a true legend and a marketing genius. His involvement and support of Off Shore racing encouraged me for one to frequent his restaurants. If we were going to go to a Hibachi restaurant, I would always look for a “Benihana” restaurant, even after he no longer owned the chain.
A true legend.

Last edited by Philip; 07-12-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another legend that will be missed.. RIP..
Old 07-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad to hear. The race in Point Beach was one of my favorite things about growing up in that town. My dad was a cop and would pick up a few extra bucks working security for the boats. He always said Rocky was the nicest guy in the bunch. I still remember him coming home after the races one year and telling me "Guess what? Rocky won his own race." That was pretty cool. Rocky would always make sure he gave my dad a jacket for helping out.

RIP Rocky.

Quick Reply: Rocky Aoki Dies at age 69

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.